Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear axle won't unlock???

Old 05-04-2014, 05:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lachoy731
So if I do this through the drain plug I am kinda doing it in the blind, any suggestions?
We tried that first and its not worth it. Just drain and open her up. Nothing bad will happen its just a cover. There will be fluid in there even after you drain so keep that in mind. You can get fluid and RTV (to seal it back up) at any auto parts store.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrowniesJK
We tried that first and its not worth it. Just drain and open her up. Nothing bad will happen its just a cover. There will be fluid in there even after you drain so keep that in mind. You can get fluid and RTV (to seal it back up) at any auto parts store.
Thank you, will post the results.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:24 PM
JK Junkie

Thank you, will post the results.
From one 10a to another
keep us posted.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:48 AM
JK Junkie

Not sure if you were able to fix this yet but just in case you haven't here is a diagram that "Ronjenx" posted on another thread. It shows the plunger and how it should be situated in the diff Dana44_TruLoc_Differential_Locker.jpg Photo by ronjenx | Photobucket
Old 02-23-2015, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrowniesJK
Not sure if you were able to fix this yet but just in case you haven't here is a diagram that "Ronjenx" posted on another thread. It shows the plunger and how it should be situated in the diff Dana44_TruLoc_Differential_Locker.jpg Photo by ronjenx | Photobucket
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I am having the same type of issue.
Last time I finished the hard part of the trail and turned off my lockers and the light continued to flash. I tried backing up, 2hi, 4hi, 4lo, repeating the locking and unlocking process with no luck.
I continued on my off road trails for the next 2-3 hours and finally while making a three point turn it unlocked.

Has anyone found the cause of these issues and are any of the parts serviceable at home?

I am trying to decide my next step and if the dealer or a gear shop is what I need.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RedSyndrome
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I am having the same type of issue.
Last time I finished the hard part of the trail and turned off my lockers and the light continued to flash. I tried backing up, 2hi, 4hi, 4lo, repeating the locking and unlocking process with no luck.
I continued on my off road trails for the next 2-3 hours and finally while making a three point turn it unlocked.

Has anyone found the cause of these issues and are any of the parts serviceable at home?

I am trying to decide my next step and if the dealer or a gear shop is what I need.

First post here. I have a 2013 JKUR 10A and am experiencing the same thing. Its been at the dealer for a couple of days. They originally said it was the actuator and sensor. I called back to figure out why it wasn't ready when they promised (since I didn't hear from them) - it was to order more parts - bearings. Did anyone here get to the bottom of it? I don't want to get hosed by the dealer. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2016, 03:46 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Donaldlodell
First post here. I have a 2013 JKUR 10A and am experiencing the same thing. Its been at the dealer for a couple of days. They originally said it was the actuator and sensor. I called back to figure out why it wasn't ready when they promised (since I didn't hear from them) - it was to order more parts - bearings. Did anyone here get to the bottom of it? I don't want to get hosed by the dealer. Thanks!
on a 10a you should be getting warranty work done. That's got the power train warranty.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:26 PM
JK Newbie

Exactly, this isn't operator error.
His steps solved it for me.

Quick Reply: Rear axle won't unlock???