Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear Fender Removal 2011

Old 01-19-2012, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Fender Removal 2011

Just added some aftermarket flares. The stock ones are a bit of a pain to remove without breaking clips if you don't know what they look like prior to removal. After the first one, it wasn't so bad. Here are some pics to help...

First of all, if you don't have a plastic clip remover, I highly recommend getting one. They are 8 bucks at the auto parts store in Alaska, that means they are about 2 bucks where you live. Here is what it looks like...

I attempted for about a half hour to work the clips loose with a screwdriver and narrowly avoided several eye gouges and cut body parts. With the clip remover they came out in literally seconds.

There are five clips on the inner fender that need to be removed first.

2 on the inner side of your tire, 2 above, and one in front.

Closer look at the inner 2

Do this...

Once the clips are removed on the inner fender you need to grab the fender and vigorously wiggle while simultaneously lifting up and out. It's best if you don't force it as it will work free with some nifty wiggling. Working from front to back seemed to work the best for me.

Working front to back, halfway there

Here is a picture of the clips on the body that you are working against... wish I would have had this when I broke all of them on the other side

Here is a picture of how the fender is held on to those clips

Voila!

Had a little oops. You will want to slightly sand and primer/paint this with some touch-up paint to prevent rusting. The sheet metal where the fender attaches to the jeep is extremely thin (think aluminum foil). I am fond of old fashioned brute force and ignorance, so this was the result. It's tough to remove those clips without damage. Gentleness and patience pay off big here.

Now you're ready for the aftermarket flare of your choice. Good luck!

PS the front flares are similar in removal process, however there are bolts on the inner fender instead of plastic clips. Also you will need to twist out the side lamp.
The following users liked this post:
JKU_Ringo (12-09-2022)
Old 01-20-2012, 07:36 AM
JK Super Freak

I've found that a well placed tree works much quicker to remove the rear flares.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks bud...planning on taking mine off and havnt looked at other write ups just yet, but this one appears thorough!! much appreciated
Old 01-20-2012, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

also, please post with new flares once on...typically dislike the rockstar but white jk might be the only one able to pull them off
Old 01-20-2012, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

The wheels you love to hate.

That's with the TrailMods inner set. The outer set is in the garage. Probably put them on if i get a ticket. Next up a winch and sliders... man this hobby is expensive!
Old 01-20-2012, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Do you have any pic of the front fender removal ... want to remove mine to have linex bed liner sprayed on them .... tks for the info....
Old 01-20-2012, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Front Fender

If you google the instructions for bushwacker flare installation they have a great picture thread showing step-by-step for the front. I didn't take any pictures and found the front to be a bit easier. Still tough not to break those clips, especially in cold weather. I hear the clips are cheap to replace, but I would imagine it would take some patience to re-install the OEM fenders.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by skibum
I've found that a well placed tree works much quicker to remove the rear flares.
Haha, took mine off with the side of a garage. Seemed to work fairly well.

Alaska Jeep, do you have a link for the front fender removal instructions? Unfortunately I broke some of the plastic clips on the front, and since taking the still-attached part of the rear one off, I doubt I'll be taking the front one off without breaking the clips/rivets. Thought it would be just as easy to take the whole damn thing off and put it back on, but I didn't realize there are bolts on the front flare as well as the plastic clips. More just want to know what I need before I start. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2012, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Holy Cow! This forum is great! Should have read here before I did mine ...

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

That has all of the details and pics you should need for both front and rear. I did have more than four bolts in mine, but you'll get the idea.

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2013, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks!

Had a fender that started to rattle due to a couple broken clips. Wasn't sure how to fix it and found this post. Boy was this helpful, even found the tool at the local parts store for eight bucks (Canadian prices are a lot like Alaska's apparently). Took me about 20 minutes.
Thanks!
Pics were awesome.

Quick Reply: Rear Fender Removal 2011