Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear locker won't disengage.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear locker won't disengage.

After hitting some great offroading my rear lockers won't disengage. I just have a flashing light with both rear tires pushing. Anyone having/had these problems?
Old 09-28-2008, 06:31 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i've had that problem and have gone through 2 factory lockers. have you regeard recently? if so, did you change out the diff fluid after about 500 miles and clean up everything inside good? a lot of metal is shaved off during the breakin period and this can cause your dog clutch to stick. for now, what you can do is open up the fill hole, stick a small screwdriver in and pull the dog clutch back out.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
i've had that problem and have gone through 2 factory lockers. have you regeard recently? if so, did you change out the diff fluid after about 500 miles and clean up everything inside good? a lot of metal is shaved off during the breakin period and this can cause your dog clutch to stick. for now, what you can do is open up the fill hole, stick a small screwdriver in and pull the dog clutch back out.
wayoflife, Thanks for the feedback. I haven't regeared, but maybe this would be an oppurtunity to do so. I am running 33"s with an OME kit on an unlimited. I might go to 35"s after this set of tires. I wheel a far amount, but this is also my commuter car. What would be your recommodation for regearing?

By the way, we had a great time on Slickrock yesterday. I will post pictures soon.

Thanks senor tortuga
Old 09-28-2008, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

i've had the same issue. Took it to the dealer and they changed the switch module thingy. That fixed the issue for a little while. Then it got stuck on again.... then dealer replaced the rear diff. lockers and all. that solved my problem.

My locker was stuck on for a good week before i got the darn thing fixed!
Old 09-28-2008, 10:25 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by senor tortuga
wayoflife, Thanks for the feedback. I haven't regeared, but maybe this would be an oppurtunity to do so. I am running 33"s with an OME kit on an unlimited. I might go to 35"s after this set of tires. I wheel a far amount, but this is also my commuter car. What would be your recommodation for regearing?

By the way, we had a great time on Slickrock yesterday. I will post pictures soon.

Thanks senor tortuga
how many miles do you have on your JK and when was the last time you changed out your diff fluid? it seems to me that even with factory gears, when the fluid has been run for a while, the dog clutch sticks and has a hard time releasing it's teeth.

as far as regearing goes, i personally loved having 5.13's with my 35's. i honestly felt as if i gained 30 extra HP. if you have an auto, i would definitely go this route. if you have a stick, it will run your RPM's a bit higher at highway speeds but in my opinion, not that bad. if MPG is a real concern of yours, you might want to go 4.88's but then, the savings will just be a bit.

can't wait to see the pics
Old 09-28-2008, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

how many miles do you have on your JK and when was the last time you changed out your diff fluid? it seems to me that even with factory gears, when the fluid has been run for a while, the dog clutch sticks and has a hard time releasing it's teeth.

as far as regearing goes, i personally loved having 5.13's with my 35's. i honestly felt as if i gained 30 extra HP. if you have an auto, i would definitely go this route. if you have a stick, it will run your RPM's a bit higher at highway speeds but in my opinion, not that bad. if MPG is a real concern of yours, you might want to go 4.88's but then, the savings will just be a bit.

can't wait to see the pics
My JK has a little over 10k miles on it. It doesn't seem like many miles to need to change the diff fluid. Thanks for the input on the gears. I have an automatic, so the 5.13's sound good.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are issues like this covered only under the original factory warranty? I got mine used with 20K miles and would like to know what the deal is before I take mine to the dealer.

It took a little too long for my rear locker to disengage today
Old 11-02-2008, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

bump bump

Are issues like this covered only under the original factory warranty? I got mine used with 20K miles and would like to know what the deal is before I take mine to the dealer.

It took a little too long for my rear locker to disengage today
Old 11-02-2008, 03:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are still under the 3/36 they should work on it under warranty, The lifetime will not apply since you are not the original owner but the standard warranty should still apply.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can someone explain this in a little more detail to me. The part for my rear diff wont be in for a week and the dealer is handing me back a locked rear diff jeep in a few hours. Unbelievable

I know where the fill hole is. Thats as far as I can get.

Quick Reply: Rear locker won't disengage.