Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear window straps? 2012 soft top unlimited

Old 08-22-2012, 05:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear window straps? 2012 soft top unlimited

I have had my JKU Sport for just over a week now. Loving this great Md weather when its not raining and had the top open the other day. I wanted to roll up the rear window for some more air flow. I noticed in the glove box there were 2 elastic straps that have a snap on them. They fit snaps on the top of the support bar above the rear window. It is basically an elastic loop with a snap on it. I can post a pic if needed. I remember a different setup on my 95 Rio Grande soft top. Question is, how does this work? Zip up the window, roll it up, and wrap these around it and secure to support bar? Seems like a more complicated method then i remember on my YJ.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I leave the elastic straps snapped onto the soft top, and when I roll up the back window I just unzip each side of the window to a point just inboard of the snaps on the top, roll the window up (carefully), and then stretch the elastic around the outside edge of the roll on each side.

This seems to work fine for me. I've tried it that way both with and without the window bar attached to the rear window.

I'm not sure if this is the "manufacturer-preferred" method of doing it, but it works for me.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Those straps are notorious for scuffing rear windows.

I either take it off and leave it home, or roll it up into a storage bag, or just unzip and drop it inward.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

eventually those elastic straps will stretch and lose their elasticity and you have to double it up around the rolled up window to keep it tucked up high and out of the way.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jiblet

I either take it off and leave it home, or roll it up into a storage bag, or just unzip and drop it inward.
how do the straps scuff the windows? my rear window is scuffed or cloudy looking, but i never thought it was from the straps. i used to take my rear window off and leave it at home too, but sometimes it's such a pain putting that damn thing back on.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jiblet

I have a storage bag for my windows, too. The back window is a PITA to re-attach if you completely remove it, IMO. When I don't take the sides out (windows down or sunrider flipped back) I just roll the back up and use the straps. If I take the side windows out (to drop the top), I use the storage bag.

Around here our bright, sunny summer afternoons are interrupted by thunderstorms more often than not (although you can usually see them coming 30 minutes before they get to you). Leaving the windows at home isn't something I like to do except for very short trips.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by g'eep09jk
how do the straps scuff the windows? my rear window is scuffed or cloudy looking, but i never thought it was from the straps. i used to take my rear window off and leave it at home too, but sometimes it's such a pain putting that damn thing back on.
The rear window bounces around when in the straps, any dust or dirt on the strap or the window will slowly cause marks, only took a couple trips to make marks on mine the strips should have been lined with a microfiber cloth or something from the factory

Quick Reply: Rear window straps? 2012 soft top unlimited