Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Red light above temp gauge goes on when throttle is pressed?

Old 02-15-2012, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red light above temp gauge goes on when throttle is pressed?

Earlier today I was driving around, for about an hour or so on the streets in stop and go traffic. Any way I sort of got lost and took some wrong turns and ended up going up a steep hill. On the way down I did not want to push my brakes that much, need to be changed, so I put the Jeep on 2nd gear ( I have an auto by the way) just so i wont go down as fast, and as usual the revs got up to 3. I have done this in the past with no problems, any way as I was going down a red light was flashing on and off right above the temp gauge. So at first I kind of ignored it ( I just finished paying it off so I was like great, this is what I get) and it went off. But then every time I pushed on the gas the light would flash again and stay on about for 2 seconds.

It kept doing it for about 10 min. And so at this point I was getting worried. But to my surprise on my way home it did not flash a all.
At first I was thinking maybe it was a warning light my engine was getting too hot? Or maybe the transmission was getting to hot?
So before this post, I looked into it and all that came up was that it is a security warning light.
Keep in mind I have no power locks or windows, so I should not be having this problem?
Also a while back I had an issue with my clock spring which was changed under warranty and maybe this could be the issue?
Oh and it was raining here as well.
Any thoughts before I head out to the dealer?
Sorry for the long read.
Thanks.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:26 PM
JK Jedi

Yes that's your security light. Oil and other messages will show up where your miles are. Interesting that it came on. The stock security systems are not that good. Maybe a malfunction.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

The rain part of the story is interesting...like the previous response said it is your sentry security system...I'm surprised you made it home....I found that out the hard way...I was at work when my new to me jk was ready for delivery so I had my dad go pick it up for me...he shows up with it and I go to take for it's maiden voyage...start...shuts right off and the red light flashes...so after a few more tries I call the dealer...the first thing he says is did you try the other key? One of my keys was not chipped, so it would start and just shut right off.
For now if you have a spare key just use that it should work. However it's weird your light flashes and still doesn't kill the motor....thinking the rain and humidity were causing some weird shorting or arching some somewhere within the lock cylinder or within the security system...I would disconnect the battery for a few minutes, and try your spare key if you have one. If the spare works fine..then I would think your key got some sort of electrical shock or was near a magnet or something. If you're spare key didn't help and it returns the next time it's raining I would think it's more of a problem with the security system itself.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well on my way to work it did not happen, so hopefully nothing serious is wrong with it. Myabe the rain shorted out something. Only time will tell.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when the light comes on, per the owners manual. it is an indication that someone set off your vehicle alarm. If it does not go away right away (10 seconds or so cant remember) and remains solid, then it means there is an electrical malfunction and you are to schedule maintenance as soon as possible.

The same thing happened to me, I let my Jeep sit for about 30 min or so and the light went away, no problem since.

Quick Reply: Red light above temp gauge goes on when throttle is pressed?