Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Removing badges/ stickers.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing badges/ stickers.

Whats the best way to do it without damaging the finish of the paint? I'm going with the all black scheme, and the decals throw off the vibe. It's pretty obvious that it's a wrangler anyways. I'm talking about the "jeep" "sport" and "trail rated" badges/stickers.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brutexforce
Whats the best way to do it without damaging the finish of the paint? I'm going with the all black scheme, and the decals throw off the vibe. It's pretty obvious that it's a wrangler anyways. I'm talking about the "jeep" "sport" and "trail rated" badges/stickers.
Ive always used WD40 to remove badges/stickers and havent noticed any paint issues yet
Old 03-19-2014, 12:34 PM
JK Junkie

I used a hair dryer to get the stickers tacky enough to peel up then pb b'laster to remove the gum from the body. Afterwards, quickly wipe up the pb then swirl/ scratch remover, clay bar, followed by a wax.

Maybe a little OCD but it worked for me without boogering up the paint.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

I used a heat gun to peel off the stickers and then just covered the residue with goo b gone for a couple mins and came right off.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Some folks swear by dental floss. I used a small screwdriver to pry up an edge on a warm day, then just pull it free (pry with the screwdriver, protecting the finish with a towel, for the badges). I use lacquer thinner to clean up the residue. It's way quicker than anything else I've ever seen recommended, and didn't damage my finish.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Some folks swear by dental floss. I used a small screwdriver to pry up an edge on a warm day, then just pull it free (pry with the screwdriver, protecting the finish with a towel, for the badges). I use lacquer thinner to clean up the residue. It's way quicker than anything else I've ever seen recommended, and didn't damage my finish.
I did that for the jeep letter when you pry the oppisit side of the letter nic's the paint.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:08 PM
JK Freak

I took the stickers off with a 1800 watt hair drier. I took off the Jeep on the grill with fishing line, and then goo gone to get rid of the adhesive. I then put flat black "JEEP" on the front, that I got from the dealer. I did spray the trail rated badge with bed liner, but now I'm going to take it off. They put those trail rated badges on anything now, so it really doesn't mean much. I also sprayed my turn signals, marker lights, and the middle of the tail lights with lens tint.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Hairdryer and wd40 work great.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eraser wheel for the stickers and 3m residue behind the jeep logo removed with fishing line.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2014, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

In my earlier days I worked as an auto body and paint tech... I used a heat gun, but if you are not careful you will blister the paint. Get the decal warmed up and use your fingernail to peel up the edge. It takes a little patience, but keep it warm and it will come right up. NEVER use lacquer thinner to clean up, use fast Enamel reducer, it will not harm the paint, lacquer thinner will take it off!

Quick Reply: Removing badges/ stickers.