Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removing hard to w/bad back, for $20 - ALONE, on a whim

Old 11-17-2011, 12:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing hard to w/bad back, for $20 - ALONE, on a whim

I put screw-in J hooks in my garage ceiling/2x4's in a 4' square (the kind you hang a bicycle with).

I use 1 tie-down strap for the front 2 hooks, 2 for the back. All the ratchets are left on the hooks, straps are what I remove when not in use.

With the rear window open, back into garage and take the screws etc out of the top for removal (I replaced the 6 in the back w/hand type screws w/knob/handle type so I only carry a 1/4" ratchet, 2"extension w/10mm socket and 1 allan type torx wrench).

Open the back doors of my JKU, pass the tye-down strap thru the buggy and attach to the ratchet, snug the strap, crank the ratchet a bit till the front starts to lift.

Go to the back and attach the strap hook to the lower shock bracket right next to the shock ball, pass it thru the ratchet and snug it up like the front, repeat on the other side only take it up a few inches. Go back and lift the other rear side a few inches and finally the front a few inches.

Drive out.

It takes less time and easier than a softtop!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to see some pics for this. I will be trying to do the same with mine, but cant really get a good mental pic of how to grab the hard top.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:14 AM
JK Freak

I do the same thing but use one strap on each side. I run them under the top on each side and then ratchet one side then the other. I wonder if your way would be easier.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:50 AM
JK Super Freak

sounds almost exactly like what I did, how-to in the write-ups section.

h ttp://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?191693-DIY-Hardtop-Hoist-for-Split-Entry-Homes-short-ceiling-garage-(unlimited)
Old 01-09-2012, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Finally.....

Pics are at http:// photos.texnet.com/index.php?mode=album&album=%2F2012_jkur

Also my hella lights install, radiator pet screen mod and a few other bits and pieces

Last edited by 03fatboy; 01-09-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:27 PM
JK Super Freak

looks great, ended up being very similar to my setup. Only thing that worrys me with yours is if it were to get bumped into I could see the rear hooks coming off of the window risers. I thought of doing the same thing and it just worried me to much I ended up using the top corners of the window opening and hooking around the lip of the hardtop, sits snug and hard in there now and never have to worry about it slipping off. Just a thought.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red08JK
looks great, ended up being very similar to my setup. Only thing that worrys me with yours is if it were to get bumped into I could see the rear hooks coming off of the window risers. I thought of doing the same thing and it just worried me to much I ended up using the top corners of the window opening and hooking around the lip of the hardtop, sits snug and hard in there now and never have to worry about it slipping off. Just a thought.

Seem snug as I've kicked, pushed, bumped etc.

It works!!

Quick Reply: Removing hard to w/bad back, for $20 - ALONE, on a whim