Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Replace soft top with hardtop? And vice versa?

Old 07-31-2008, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace soft top with hardtop? And vice versa?

Okay, so looks like I'm going to be trading my soft top for a hard top, but I have no idea what I need in order to make the swap.

Are there any guides online anywhere? I want to make sure I have all the hardware needed for the hardtop.

My soft top is on now, it came from the factory that way, so I'm assuming everything is here for the swap.

Can anyone point me somewhere or give me pointers on making this trade possible? Also, how long does it take to do this?

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2008, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Since you have the softtop, I assume you know what is needed for that. You are going to have to give up the top and framework and brackets that attach the top to the roll bars, your windows, the door rails and screw knobs that go with them, the rear tailgate bar and the two brackets they attach to, and your velcro straps.

You should get in return, the rear part of the hard top, the two Freedom Top left and right panels, two big hand screws that screw into your top roll bar, eight torx bolts that hold the top down and six metal clips that the torx bolts screw into.

The hard top also comes with wiring and a small tube for a light, windshield wiper motor and washer fluid. Obviously that cannot be removed, you will have to get that installed or not if you don't care.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The hardtop wiring harness install also requires a trip to the dealer to flash the computer to recognize the new instrument panel and steering column piece that controls the rear sprayer.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys! It seems like the soft top is a little trickier to install/uninstall than the hardtop.

I've been reading up and am a bit confused about the wiring for the defroster/wiper. Will I be able to control these if I originally had a soft top? Am I missing the buttons for this up front?

Also, any ideas as to what it would cost to get the wiper/defroster working from the dealer?
Old 07-31-2008, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

Not sure on the price, but yes you will need a new windshield washer stalk, and defroster button and wiring harness. The dealership should know what to do.

Or if using the wiper and defroster doesn't matter to you, you can just skip it.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Now, is all this stuff I can take from the trade? Doesn't seem like the other party would need all this stuff anymore right?

Couldn't I just remove it from theirs and install in mine?
Old 07-31-2008, 03:32 PM
JK Super Freak

you would have to swap yours for theirs or their car would not be able to turn on the windshield wipers or control the fan speed , etc.. and I wouldn't do it if I was them. It is the whole control panel with the speed control, temperature control, etc. and the stalk. Just buy the wiring harness kit, it's 130 dollars. + 80 dollars for the dealer to flash it. or however much that costs.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

Okay, but how would I turn on the wiper or defroster? Is the harness all I need?

EDIT: Okay, so I just went through the manual and it looks like the defroster is activated through the knob that controls the air conditioner...mine is missing the defroster button.

And the rear wiper is controlled on the right lever with the front wipers.

Might be more hassle than I actually need --- I mean, how often am I really going to use all this stuff?

Last edited by achi10; 07-31-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:02 PM
JK Super Freak

here's a picture

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...6&partID=15957

but you're right about not really needing to have it all hooked up. not that big of a deal.

Last edited by saltman; 07-31-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:07 PM
JK Freak

Take a look at this it may help with what you need.
Good luck.

http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-...r.ashx?id=2123

Quick Reply: Replace soft top with hardtop? And vice versa?