Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Replacing Carpet with LINE-X

Old 06-13-2011, 09:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Carpet with LINE-X

With mud, water, and everything else in-between, the thought of replacing the carpet upholstry with LINE-X has come to mind. Local LINE-X dealer says they would do the job for around $500 if I were able to do some of the prior things like removing seats and carpet...good idea?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do it yourself... it might take half a day but that's $500, less materials, in your pocket. We did the roll on stuff in my buddies TJ and it is just as good!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bucko
Do it yourself... it might take half a day but that's $500, less materials, in your pocket. We did the roll on stuff in my buddies TJ and it is just as good!
Where can you find the "do it yourself" LINE-X materials?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

There are lots of threads dedicated to this subject, I would do some research here. I did this to my JK and my buddy's TJ over teh course of 2 and half days. Cost us roughly $300 to do both. The longest time is the prep and take that into account. Good prep = a good finish.

There are roll on styles, rattle can styles and spray on kits that require a compressor. We use the Upol Raptor liner and it is awesome. I beat the crap out of it and it has done me well. That kit is a spray on style.

I learned A LOT about my jeep by ripping it apart and putting it back together. I am glad I did it for that reason as well.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post There are several kits on the market...

such as Heculiner, Rustoleum, just to name a few
Old 06-14-2011, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the Herculiner roll on in my TJ and was very happy with the results. As stated before prep is the key. Must scuff all the metal well to get good adhesion, that was the most time consuming aspect of the job. The stuff smells bad though, the stink seemed to have lingered for a long, long time after though. Very easy diy project. I purchased the Herculiner from Auto-zone.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would get the rustoleum bedliner spray. A lot easier and looks great. Prep is key. Don't skip any steps.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Do any of the spray ons, roll ons, etc explain how to remove everything (seats and carpet I suppose) and how to not screw up any of the hosing and/or wiring before applying the lining solution?
Old 06-14-2011, 11:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sithslayer23
Do any of the spray ons, roll ons, etc explain how to remove everything (seats and carpet I suppose) and how to not screw up any of the hosing and/or wiring before applying the lining solution?
Everything that you dont want sprayed you have to tape off. Simple as that.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sithslayer23
No theyre all more of a general purpose type thing not specifically for Jeeps. I helped a budy Herculine a YJ and it was really easy. Anything you dont want to get the material on just put a plastic bag around it and blue tape the edges. Thick butchers paper will help covering areas too. I would recomend wraping up everything, its a lot easier to take that stuff off then a "whoops wast really paying attention and now its somewhere I dont want it" removal.

Quick Reply: Replacing Carpet with LINE-X