Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Replacing Your Hood, Something You Should All Know

Old 05-06-2009, 06:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black08X
I discovered that the metal beneath was unpainted, not even primered. It was bare metal and obviously at the factory they had attached the hood to the hinges unpaited and painted the whole body at once. This means that under the hinges rust had already started to form on the steel hood. I suspect the doors are done the same way. So just a heads up, you may have rust growing under your hinges.
This is not exclusive to Jeep or Chrysler. This is common practice for a lot of vehicles.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like the hood, but I probably would have just left the dented hood on, it shows character.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by saltman
You can twist the two rubber pieces off with two fingers. Takes less than a second.
Sort of a jeep titty-twister? I don't think my jk would enjoy that
Old 05-07-2009, 01:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by w00dchuck
I like the hood, but I probably would have just left the dented hood on, it shows character.
It shows that your hood got dented up in a hail storm, that's about all it shows.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

It shows that your hood got dented up in a hail storm, that's about all it shows.
Yeah but I'm cheap, and "character" sounds better than "cheap."
Old 05-08-2009, 04:19 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

TORN's hood is like mine--dented up from a hailstorm--along with dents in the air conditioning condenser. He got those from a hobby of his: Chasing a tornado. I say if you've got a great story to tell, leave it be. Unfortunately, my story is it was parked in my driveway during the storm. So someday I guess I'll fix it.

Quick Reply: Replacing Your Hood, Something You Should All Know