Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

RHR = Mic not working

Old 11-04-2011, 08:30 PM
MJ
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RHR = Mic not working

I started with a 2012 Unlimited Sport. It came with the connectivity group and the RES head unit (sirius, uConnect, microphone, hands-free, bluetooth, etc.).

I just purchased a used RHR from another member of this forum; the RHR is from a 2011 Dodge Ram.

I had the dealership install the RHR head unit into my Jeep (so they could flash it and get the nav to work, etc.). The navigation and sirius work perfectly (without adding any extra antennas) and the RHR paired right up to my iPhone 4S. Music from my iPhone streams over bluetooth and the phone paired just fine.

However, the microphone doesn't work: the RHR won't recognize voice commands using uConnect or when trying to use the hands-free. The original owner of the RHR included an aftermarket microphone, so the dealership tried that one too and it didn't work either.

Does anybody have a solution? Being able to use the hands-free is critical in the People's Republic of California...

As an aside, the RHR doesn't recognize my iPhone when I hook it up to the USB port in the armrest (using a standard iPhone USB adapter). Suggestions?

As another aside, I asked the dealership to enable Daytime Running Lights (DRL) but they said they couldn't find the option in their StarScan tool. Suggestions?

As always, thanks in advance!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:03 PM
MJ
JK Enthusiast

I tried Engineering Mode (Seek Up + Seek Down + Menu) and got this result:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0847.jpg
Views:	1582
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	232654

As you can see, "Enable JK VR/HFM" is grayed out (I can't push it).

...Does anybody know what "Hardwired Ignition" does? I was too scared to push it...
Old 11-04-2011, 09:56 PM
MJ
JK Enthusiast

After doing some digging, it looks like there may be two uConnect modules with competing interests:

Originally Posted by Rednroll

After you remove your radio, you should see most of these connectors.

Existing Connectors and what they are:

UConnect Mic Connector
If you don't have this connector, it's because you have a standard stock radio which does not currently have UConnect functionality. If you have this connector, but have any other radio besides the MyGig RER, then you can NOT plug this connector into the back of the RHR. For the RHR and RER radios, they have a built in Uconnect Module and this connector is for plugging in a UConnect microphone only. Other Chrysler radios require an external Uconnect module for Uconnect functionality, but plugging that into the back of an RER or RHR will not work.

Looking at my build sheet, this seems to be correct. It shows:
68078523AA ... Jumper\HFM ... Hands Free Jumper
68104904AB ... COMMUNICATION MODULE-HAND ... Hands Free Module

Can somebody that has an RHR from the factory please look at their build sheet and tell me what part numbers they have for the microphone and/or hands-free module (HFM)?

Thank you!
Old 11-05-2011, 06:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good info here on the RHR units....

w w w.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_navigation.htm

As far as the daytime running lights I know this is a feature you can enable/disable with some of the programmers. The AEV ProCal is one I know will do that.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by albrechtmj
After doing some digging, it looks like there may be two uConnect modules with competing interests:
That's your problem. You'll need to plug the mic directly into the head unit. I'm not sure if you can just move it from uConnect box to your RHR though, as it might have different plugs.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:00 AM
MJ
JK Enthusiast

Thanks! From that website:

If the vehicle is equipped with a lower line radio and Uconnect hands free module, the vehicles microphone and USB port will not be wired to the new RHR radio, but to the old HFM module. The RHR radio has an internal Uconnect module.

If installing a RHR radio and the vehicle had been equipped with a lower line radio and Uconnect hands free module, install the MOPAR Hand Free Module adaptor wiring harness for Uconnect Hands Free Module (HFM) equipped vehicles (p/n 82211666) and USB cable (p/n 68068278AA) for Remote USB Port equipped vehicles. This will allow the mirror mounted microphones and remote USB port to be hooked up to the new RHR radio.

The RHR radio uses a dual satellite radio/GPS antenna. All 2011 model year vehicles that came with a navigation radio will already have this antenna from the factory.

Parts:

1. 82211666 Microphone Harness (for vehicles equipped with mirror mounted microphone) ($108.00 MSRP)

2. 68068278AA USB Jumper Cable (male mini USB connectors on both ends) ($17.35 MSRP)

3. Dual satellite radio/GPS antenna ($?? MSRP)

Installation:

1. Install the Mopar HFM microphone adaptor wiring harness.

2. Install the Mopar USB cable from the rear of RHR radio to the remote USB port inline connector near the shifter assembly in the center console.

Note: It is necessary to unplug the original Uconnect Hands Free module. This will prevent a conflict with the new RHR radio Uconnect Module and old original Hands Free Module.

Note: The VIN must be updated (by a dealer) with the sales code of the added radio in order to enable system functionality.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:47 AM
MJ
JK Enthusiast

Alright, I'm trying to figure out a few more logistical issues:

Will the 82211666 Microphone Harness (for vehicles equipped with mirror mounted microphone) work with my Jeep so that I can continue to use the factory installed microphone? Or will I need to purchase another UConnect Microphone Kit (82211743AB)?

Will the 68068278AA USB Jumper Cable (male mini USB connectors on both ends) make the USB port in my arm rest function as I think it should? It currently charges my iPod, but it doesn't show it as an AUX source. Or, will I need to buy the RER myGig iPod Integration Kit (82211853)?

Has anybody ACTUALLY achieved success with this, or is all of the advice anecdotal?

Thanks again!
Old 11-05-2011, 09:17 AM
MJ
JK Enthusiast

I tested one hypothesis:

The RHR controls and charges my iPhone using the USB port on the front of the head unit (and a regular iPod USB cable). This leads me to believe that I don't need the RER iPod Cable.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:08 PM
MJ
JK Enthusiast

Will the 82211666 Microphone Harness (for vehicles equipped with mirror mounted microphone) work with my Jeep so that I can continue to use the factory installed microphone? Or will I need to purchase another UConnect Microphone Kit (82211743AB)?
Old 11-07-2011, 08:58 PM
MJ
JK Enthusiast

The 82211666 Microphone Harness (for vehicles equipped with mirror mounted microphone) is a part for the WK, not the JK. WKs have the factory mic on the mirror, JKs have the factory mic in the A-pillar. I wanted to know if this harness would connect to the mic that is in my A-pillar.

I'm sure I'm not the first person that has put an RHR in a 2012 Wrangler. That's why I'm hoping somebody will post a solution that actually worked for them.

Also, I've heard the factory uconnect module is behind the climate control. Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks again,
Mike

Quick Reply: RHR = Mic not working