Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rivnut spinning, can't remove bolt

Old 07-27-2018, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Rivnut spinning, can't remove bolt

Anyone have any idea how to remove a bolt from a rivnut that's broke loose? The rivnut is loose from the body and it just spins. I tried to hold the rivnut with pliers and no anvil.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo642.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	677171  
Old 07-27-2018, 02:56 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

lotta people will just do a tiny tack weld.....which is convenient, you know, if you have a welder sittin round. That is probably the most common way. Dang, can't believe that is spinning on you.

Can you get enough leverage to jam a flat head screwdriver against the side while you turn the screw?

Last edited by resharp001; 07-27-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

That didn't work either, but thanks for the idea. I read on another forum that with the bolt out, you can use a little thread locker to hold the rivnut in place while inserting the tool to repress the rivnut. So I put a little on, waited a while, and started to back it off. Did about a quarter turn before the thread locker free, cleaned it up and put some more thread locker on and now I'm gonna let it cure overnight...I'm hopeful this will work
Old 07-30-2018, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just use a die grinder and be really careful I work in a body shop and its really the best way I have found to do it if I can't hold it with pliers
Old 07-30-2018, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

That what I figured I'd have to do
Old 07-30-2018, 06:07 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

The only other thing I can think of before the last ditch die grinder, would be adding heat to the equation.....heat up that bolt with a torch, then try every which way to get some pressure on the nut while unscrewing the bolt. It's a long shot, and you might resort to the grinder anyhow, but might be worth a try.

That is just a tie down in the cargo area right? I don't see how that dang thing broke free on a newer jeep? Look like it was just a manufacturing defect?
Old 07-30-2018, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll try some heat. Thanks for the idea...because I haven't worked up the courage yet to bust out a die grinder.

Yes, it the middle tie down in the cargo area. Probably my fault that it's broke loose. I've had it on and off a few times to get behind those plastic parts for wires, and I'd been taking the bolts in and out with a screw gun. And when I go wheeling in strap a cooler down with ratchet straps...probably too tight.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those stupid things can be frustrating I usually try about everything before I use a grinder but that's usually what ends up happening good luck
Old 07-30-2018, 07:14 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I can't stop thinking about this one.....cuz I know how frustrating this is. Looking at original picture, and really zooming in....if it were me, I'd cut that dang tie down loop off completely (those are cheap), and cut the metal tabs so that all you have is the bolt and the nutsert. Then, if you can't get a grip on the nutsert at all with some needle nose vice grips or whatnot, then maybe try to use a dremel or something to cut just a slit in the side of the nutsert.....something you can get a flat screwdriver in to hold it in place. Naturally, this couldn't be one of the ones that is just easy to grab from the underside of the tub.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you get to the back side and hold it from there?

Quick Reply: Rivnut spinning, can't remove bolt