Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rought Idle Fixed - New Plugs

Old 05-03-2010, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rought Idle Fixed - New Plugs

I've been dealing with rough idle for the last couple of months in my 2008 2-Door 6-speed JK. I'd notice it mostly when sitting at stoplights. The RPM needle would fluctuate just a TINY bit but most of the roughness was just felt in the driver's seat and the floor. Replaced the air filter and no change.

I changed spark plugs Saturday even though I only have 24,500 miles. Rough idle is completely gone and acceleration is smoother. I used the Bosch Platinum 2+ plugs which were on sale at AutoZone for $2.99.

The OEM Champion plugs looked a little whiter than I'm used to seeing. I normally like to see more of a smooth tan color on the tip but this isn't scientific and I'm not worried about it. I bought the Jeep used only 1500 miles ago so I have no idea how the previous owner treated it, etc.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cool.... I heard one of those plugs is a bitch to get to, and out! Any advise?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

My saving grace was I had a spark plug socket with a swivel head on it. You either need that or a swivel socket adapter. Otherwise there is no way to get to the plug on the passenger side nearest the fire wall unless you are a contortionist

Once you get that one done, the rest are cake.

Something like this ... not sure if this is the right size for the plug as I have several different sizes of these: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G19

Originally Posted by edstroyer
Cool.... I heard one of those plugs is a bitch to get to, and out! Any advise?
Old 05-03-2010, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I test drove many Jeeps, and they all (brand new) had the rough idle. Maybe it is the stock plugs...
Old 05-03-2010, 01:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bradtopp
... I used the Bosch Platinum 2+ plugs which were
on sale at AutoZone for $2.99....
Good info! I was thinking about NGK, but fot that price I'll pick some up this weekend.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Info

Here is some good reading material on the matter.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/sprkplg2.htm
Old 05-04-2010, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was able to push the front fender plastic out of the way to get a better grip on my hidden plug. Just go from inside the passenger side front fender pull it back enough to get your hand/wrench in and you should be good. JOE>
Old 05-04-2010, 01:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I keep meaning to do this. I've always had the rough idle and I'm certain it's the plugs. Apparently lots of people's JK's have plugs aren't gapped correctly.

Quick Reply: Rought Idle Fixed - New Plugs