Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rubi or X

Old 01-20-2009, 05:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of all the things you get on a rubi, the transfer case, lockers and front Dana-44 axle are what should be your make/break decision.

The other stuff you could install on an X pretty easily and for the cheap.

The transfer case on a Rubi will let you go into 4-lo and just let the Jeep crawl over most stuff without giving it much throttle or go down steep inclines without pressing the brake much.

The transfer case on the other models requires a little more throttle and a little more braking.

However, I can vouch on my own that the transfer case on an X will descend a pretty steep slope (went up and back down a steep mountain logging trail) without hardly touching the brakes if you just put it into 4-lo and first gear on your shifter.

Just food for thought.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:57 AM
Ben
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Laughingstok
Of all the things you get on a rubi, the transfer case, lockers and front Dana-44 axle are what should be your make/break decision.

The other stuff you could install on an X pretty easily and for the cheap.

The transfer case on a Rubi will let you go into 4-lo and just let the Jeep crawl over most stuff without giving it much throttle or go down steep inclines without pressing the brake much.

The transfer case on the other models requires a little more throttle and a little more braking.

However, I can vouch on my own that the transfer case on an X will descend a pretty steep slope (went up and back down a steep mountain logging trail) without hardly touching the brakes if you just put it into 4-lo and first gear on your shifter.

Just food for thought.
Do you have a six speed and 3.21 gears? I cannot descend a steep slope without staying on the brakes the whole time otherwise the jeep just gets faster and faster and revs up to 4 grand or higher if I let it. 4lo and 1st gear is just barely better than putting it in neutral and rolling down teh hill. In fact, I usually do come down steep hills in neutral or with the clutch in because 4 lo doesn't hold me back any and if i try to use the brakes and 4 lo just idling, i kill it cuz 4 lo won't let me descend as slow as I want/need even with the brakes on. Of course these concerns might be negated with 3.73 gears or lower, but they are definately somethign to think about on an x with a six speed.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:05 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ben
Do you have a six speed and 3.21 gears?
Negative, I have 3.73 gears

Quick Reply: Rubi or X