Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rust

Old 04-13-2015, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust

Hello all I have some rust starting underneath the tailgate right above the rear bumper theres about two inches of bubbled paint and its starting to come through and show the cancer i'm wanting to nip this in the bud before it gets any worse. What would you all suggest my best plan to tackle this would be? is there something i can do myself or should i take it and have a shop do this i'm not worried about matching factory silver paint i'd go with a black underneath the tailgate as I have seen it done before I just do not want my jeep to be rusting..
Old 04-27-2015, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

I don't know if this could be your problem but open up your tailgate and lift up the rear storage flap, should be where yoir jack goes to change your tire, and see if its got water in the compartment. There should be a rubber plug that allows it to drain. I have to pull it after a heavy storm and dry with a towel because water gets in there
Old 04-27-2015, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

As for tackling the rust you could always tape and sand it off and hit with paint or rust converter. I sprayed the underside of my Jeep after sanding and whiping down surface rust and its lasted pretty good

Quick Reply: Rust