Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Sahara Vs Rubicon

Old 12-16-2007, 03:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sahara Vs Rubicon

can someone tell me how bad is the Rubicon Vs the Sahara on paved rd's...
I know it is much better off road.. thanks to the locking systems,,, and dana 44.. but what about going over a bump in the neighbourhood? , or flipping over in curves..

thanks
Old 12-16-2007, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default great on paved

I have a Rubi Unlimited and I have driven a Sahara Unlimited. Both drive great on the road and the only difference I felt is at very slow speed, say just as you are slowing down for a stop sign or crawling around a curve a less than 5 MPH, then you can slightly feel the lugs on the tires. There also is a little more tire noise but it is surprisingly one quite and beats my wifes mustang GT on road noise. Both the Sahara and Rubicon will feel as if they lean a bit in tight turns if you attack the curve. But they are not built for racing around curves and they are very stable vehicles. I trust my Rubicon would take a heck of an effort to flip it. I have had it off road on some pretty severe angles and it stuck like glue to good ol mother earth. As far a bumps my brother and I spent several weekends test driving both jeeps and we both prefer the ride of the a Rubicon, you should go try them. My wife loves our jeep and she uses any excuse to drive it that she can muster up. Nothing beats a jeep for cruising around on or of road.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Sahara vs. Rubicon

The street ride is the same to me.
There is a little more noise and hum from the MT tires.
I'm pretty sure the Rubicon has the same springs, with the same shocks?
I test drove a Sahara prior to ordering my Rubicon, I really can't tell a difference. The street manners are finally acceptable now, even to wifey.
It's pretty much the same suspension that the Grand Cherokee had a few years ago back when the GC had solid axles. So it's going to ride well.
The Rubicon has the electronic swaybar disconnects, so on the road it should feel very much the same as the Sahara. Once you get into the twisty trails you should unlock the swaybar, that's when you'll notice more roll.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:01 PM
JK Newbie

Bud you need to decide what your gonna do with the jeep. If your gonna wheel it a lot get the rubi. If your not, get the sahara for sure. No point at all in buying a rubi to goto the mall or drive down a dirt road.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

I have the Sahara and put Rubi rims/tires on it. The things I noticed; In the rain the stock Sahara tires were quite a bit better, dry pavement about the same, dirt/mud Rubi tires much better, snow Rubi tire much better. This is my opinion.

Quick Reply: Sahara Vs Rubicon