Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

seafoam in oil treatment?

Old 06-24-2014, 08:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all so I got this bad noise coming from my engine, I had 3 mechanics look at it and identify the sound as to be a bad spark but I'm not sure it's that. Should i run seafoam through my oil first to see if it cures it? I have to do an oil change soon so I'm thinking I should put the seafoam in now and in about 200k change out the oil? I did get my spark plugs changed less than 10thous kms ago... A couple guys said it sounds like pre detination with my sparks plugs and a couple said run seafoam through ur engine and get that gunk out of there. Is that all or what else can I do? I heard also to change my spark plugs to platinum and put seafoam in my sparkplug holes and let it sit for a bit then put the spark plugs back in. I'm confused with all these inputs please someone help! And the noise is only when accelerating, and under load, noticed it big time when playing with the clutch and climbing up something, and they say it's coming right from the top of my engine.

Last edited by veney; 06-24-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a number of issues that can cause your problem.. An $8 can of seafoam in the gas and a few ounces in the oil is the quickest and easiest "fix". But, that stuff is more of a maintenance type of fluid and won't necessarily fix anything. Helps keep things clean? Sure. Some believe it's just snake oil for the motor.

Consistent use is best vs. a one shot cure. Doesn't hurt to try. I run a can of sea foam in the gas at every oil change interval (3000 miles). I also run 12 oz. of marvel mystery oil in the oil For every oil change.

Last edited by Jeepstin12; 06-24-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
There are a number of issues that can cause your problem.. An $8 can of seafoam in the gas and a few ounces in the oil is the quickest and easiest "fix". But, that stuff is more of a maintenance type of fluid and won't necessarily fix anything. Helps keep things clean? Sure. Some believe it's just snake oil for the motor.

Consistent use is best vs. a one shot cure. Doesn't hurt to try. I run a can of sea foam in the gas at every oil change interval (3000 miles). I also run 12 oz. of marvel mystery oil in the oil For every oil change.
Awesome man I'm gonna giver a try thanks dude!
Old 06-25-2014, 11:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by veney
Hey all so I got this bad noise coming from my engine, I had 3 mechanics look at it and identify the sound as to be a bad spark but I'm not sure it's that. Should i run seafoam through my oil first to see if it cures it? I have to do an oil change soon so I'm thinking I should put the seafoam in now and in about 200k change out the oil? I did get my spark plugs changed less than 10thous kms ago... A couple guys said it sounds like pre detination with my sparks plugs and a couple said run seafoam through ur engine and get that gunk out of there. Is that all or what else can I do? I heard also to change my spark plugs to platinum and put seafoam in my sparkplug holes and let it sit for a bit then put the spark plugs back in. I'm confused with all these inputs please someone help! And the noise is only when accelerating, and under load, noticed it big time when playing with the clutch and climbing up something, and they say it's coming right from the top of my engine.
how many miles do you have your vehicle? If you have high milage, I would be real cautious using seafoam or an engine cleaner. You could loosen up a lot of junk and you could clog your oil pick up.
also if not done right, a pouring liquid down your spark plugs holes could cause the engine to lock up if not done right.

if you believe you have carbon buildup in your engine cause an octane knock (probably most noticeable under a load) you can try switching to a higher grade fuel if it goes away then you have confirmed that you an octane knock.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
how many miles do you have your vehicle? If you have high milage, I would be real cautious using seafoam or an engine cleaner. You could loosen up a lot of junk and you could clog your oil pick up. also if not done right, a pouring liquid down your spark plugs holes could cause the engine to lock up if not done right. if you believe you have carbon buildup in your engine cause an octane knock (probably most noticeable under a load) you can try switching to a higher grade fuel if it goes away then you have confirmed that you an octane knock.
that still won't clean his engine. "Higher grade" is only more stable. All fuels sold are required to have detergents and additives blended in. You mileage comment is spot on. He could loosen up crud which could be bad.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
that still won't clean his engine. "Higher grade" is only more stable. All fuels sold are required to have detergents and additives blended in. You mileage comment is spot on. He could loosen up crud which could be bad.
Sorry, I didn't mean my statement to sound like a high grade of fuel would fix his problem. Just a way to confirm it is an octane knock.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:48 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
Sorry, I didn't mean my statement to sound like a high grade of fuel would fix his problem. Just a way to confirm it is an octane knock.
no worries, just clarity. Some people do believe high octane "fixes" things.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

I've also heard that to, actually most things I read up on seafoam oil treatment said this and my jeep just broke the 140thous kms. Is this to much? Should I just try a full tank of 89 fuel? Or do both?
Old 06-25-2014, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

What type of plugs did you put in? Are they gapped correctly?
Old 06-26-2014, 03:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rambo JK
What type of plugs did you put in? Are they gapped correctly?
It was a while ago but they were Mopar ones

Quick Reply: seafoam in oil treatment?