Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Seatbelts not working..

Old 05-21-2012, 04:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seatbelts not working..

I couldn't find a thread about this....but I have been having trouble with all seats belts in my JK...they either pop off or have a hard time buckling....the driver side buckle even locks not allowing me to insert the seatbelt....was thinking about putting graphite in the locks....not sure...I'm sure they are dirty from dirt, water etc....anyone else have this issue?
Old 05-21-2012, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm having the same issue with not being able to fasten my drivers seatbelt. Haven't heard much else about the problem. Thinking of just buying a new locking mechanism.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a hard time releasing the seat belts - we have to push the buttons REALLY hard. Also, sometimes the passenger side belt locks up when you try to pull it out... like when you hit the brakes hard and it locks. I have to mess with it for about 5 minutes to get it to finally pull out.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:53 PM
JK Freak

Well I applied some graphite....made it a little easier......didn't realize a lot of others having the same problems....anyone know of a TSB about this...
Old 05-22-2012, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check with your dealer before spending any money to get it fixed - some manufacturers have an "unwritten" lifetime warranty on seatbelts - I know Honda does this (replaced a seatbelt buckle on my wife's accord at 165,000 miles), and I've heard from others that Nissan and GM do this also. It's not in the written warranty, so they aren't committed to do it, but they will if you ask nicely.

I don't know if Chrysler does this, but it's worth a shot.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

sprayed a little WD-40 inside them and it fixed the problem for me.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

Ditto on the wd-40. Now they work like new again. I assume they get gummed up from the exposure to the elements.

Quick Reply: Seatbelts not working..