Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Service Intervals for Lifetime Drivetrain Warranty

Old 03-20-2010, 11:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer handed me a book with a maintenance schedule with something going on at every 5k miles. theres a signature block and date block for the mechanic to sign for. he told me to bring this in to the dealership at each 5k interval and also have the 5 year inspection done on time. according to him, that will keep my warranty in tact. i asked about the interval maintenance and he insisted that if i only did my oil changes at the intervals, that i would risk not being able to prove that the other stuff got done, such as chassis lub, tire rotation, fluid check and top offs, etc.
i live close enough to 2 big jeep dealerships to have them do it every 5k miles, but i think that every time i take it in there gonna try to scr&w me into doing other stuff thats shown in their "maintenance log" but not necessarily due to keep the lifetime powertrain.
on a similar note, isnt the interval every 6 months OR 5000 miles? i was 2 weeks away from my 6 month mark and tried to take it in because i have a deployment coming up and ill be out at the 6 month mark. the dealership did the oil change for me "free of charge" ( which isnt really a hook-up, they gave me oil changes for life) and sent me on my way.... when i went to check out with the cashier i handed her my maintenance log for them to sign for the oil change and they insisted it was strictly by the miles. so they advised me to come back closer or slightly past 5000 miles regaurdless of how long its been. i told them at the rate im stateside, it might be over a year before i hit 5000 miles and they said thats fine. is this accurate? or should i go talk to his boss. i mean, i dont wanna jack up my warrenty before the first signature in the maint log gets logged, you know? thanks guys
Old 03-20-2010, 02:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The warranty manual says five year inspection ONLY. It makes NO other requirements of ANY other service intervals. None. Nada Zilch. Try reading it.

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 03-21-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban
My dealer handed me a book with a maintenance schedule with something going on at every 5k miles. theres a signature block and date block for the mechanic to sign for. he told me to bring this in to the dealership at each 5k interval and also have the 5 year inspection done on time. according to him, that will keep my warranty in tact. i asked about the interval maintenance and he insisted that if i only did my oil changes at the intervals, that i would risk not being able to prove that the other stuff got done, such as chassis lub, tire rotation, fluid check and top offs, etc.
i live close enough to 2 big jeep dealerships to have them do it every 5k miles, but i think that every time i take it in there gonna try to scr&w me into doing other stuff thats shown in their "maintenance log" but not necessarily due to keep the lifetime powertrain.
on a similar note, isnt the interval every 6 months OR 5000 miles? i was 2 weeks away from my 6 month mark and tried to take it in because i have a deployment coming up and ill be out at the 6 month mark. the dealership did the oil change for me "free of charge" ( which isnt really a hook-up, they gave me oil changes for life) and sent me on my way.... when i went to check out with the cashier i handed her my maintenance log for them to sign for the oil change and they insisted it was strictly by the miles. so they advised me to come back closer or slightly past 5000 miles regaurdless of how long its been. i told them at the rate im stateside, it might be over a year before i hit 5000 miles and they said thats fine. is this accurate? or should i go talk to his boss. i mean, i dont wanna jack up my warrenty before the first signature in the maint log gets logged, you know? thanks guys

forget that bullshit. You do not need to do all that dealer crap to keep your warranty. there is nothing to lube on the chassis anyway and not lubing your tailgate hinge ain't going to void your warranty. The dealer menu maintenance crap is just a cash cow. Seriously, read your manual. Change your fluids based on your usage. And, BTW, the manual says not to exceed 6 months or 6k miles, which is good advice. Since you drive very little, changing the oil by six months regardless of miles is a good practice. In fact you should re-read the manual respecting how to treat your jeep when it has extended periods that you do not use it.

Last edited by Jiblet; 03-20-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am worried because I am in the opposite position, I keep asking if they (dealer) needs to check anything because it is only been almost 2 years since my purchase and I am at 60K. I will be near 150K in 5 years.

I just want to make sure they put a new engine in my jeep every few years, I am gonna drive it forever! muhahahaha!

Red
Old 03-24-2010, 05:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheonlyREDhead 2008 JK
I am worried because I am in the opposite position, I keep asking if they (dealer) needs to check anything because it is only been almost 2 years since my purchase and I am at 60K. I will be near 150K in 5 years.

I just want to make sure they put a new engine in my jeep every few years, I am gonna drive it forever! muhahahaha!

Red

Bump????
Old 03-24-2010, 06:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheonlyREDhead 2008 JK
Bump????
for regular maintenance just follow the manual for appropriate intervals based on usage (which is what every jeeper should do regardless of having lifetime power train warranty or not).

But those that have the lifetime power train warranty must have an authorized dealer inspection every five years. (within 60 days each 5-year anniversary of their in-service date*) The inspection is FREE and regardless of mileage or other service intervals.

* I confirmed this 60-day window on
h t t p://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/lifetime_warranty.cfm
Old 03-26-2010, 09:02 AM
JK Freak

Crud, I missed the 15k diff fluid change.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jiblet
If by mandatory service you mean service actually done by a dealer, the only mandatory one is the 5-year inspection.
Bingo.......

EDIT: It will be interesting to see what they say when I take mine in for 5 year service. I do all my other maintenance myself to save the $ and ensure it's done right and no corners are cut. I put about 20k-25k a year on the jeep so at the 5 year anniversay it will be over 100k miles and they will have never seen me for service before. LOL. I'm almost entirely sure they will tell me, "you need X, Y, Z, A, B, C, and D, if you want to keep your warranty..." just due to the simple fact I never paid them another dime for servicing my jeep, but who knows. For all I'm concerned they probably won't honor it anyway given my mods so whatever...

Last edited by redrockin7; 03-26-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine told me just bring it in every 5 years.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I keep my own maint. log with details of all work done and keep my receipts if I remember to. Then sign and date below the work done thus making my log a sworn statement.

That should be sufficient to stand up in court if they won't honor my warranty.

Quick Reply: Service Intervals for Lifetime Drivetrain Warranty