Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Shaking at 55...

Old 12-22-2013, 07:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The dealer could have balanced them but if the wheel wasn't on machine right the computer will say its balanced when in fact it's not.

Re balance the tires.

sent from the slow lane
Old 12-23-2013, 01:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup tires are out of balance...
Old 12-23-2013, 06:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Vibration at 55mph, where? In the steering wheel? In your seat? Just how bad is it? Other factors affecting vibration are driveshafts, tread design coupled with tire inflation, and and u-joints (probably could be considered part of the driveshaft). Does the vibration go away at a higher speed? What are your tires aired to?

Tire balancing will not correct characteristics of the tires. For instance, that 70 foot four wheel skid on pavement that your wife/girlfriend/kid/other didn't tell you about that left four distinct flat spots on your tires, balancing is not going to fix that and you for sure are going to feel it. Nor can balancing fix an out-of-round tire.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you running stock factory rims? Spacers? Some aftermarket wheels are not hub centric and the slightest blemish on the wheel or tire can cause a shimmy. Cheap spacers that are not hub centric will do the same.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
Vibration at 55mph, where? In the steering wheel? In your seat? Just how bad is it? Other factors affecting vibration are driveshafts, tread design coupled with tire inflation, and and u-joints (probably could be considered part of the driveshaft). Does the vibration go away at a higher speed? What are your tires aired to? Tire balancing will not correct characteristics of the tires. For instance, that 70 foot four wheel skid on pavement that your wife/girlfriend/kid/other didn't tell you about that left four distinct flat spots on your tires, balancing is not going to fix that and you for sure are going to feel it. Nor can balancing fix an out-of-round tire.
It shakes the whole jeep. Mostly the steering wheel and the shifter. The 1st couple times my wife ask me why it is shaking? It drives straight down the road and no wheel spacers.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:18 PM
JK Freak

I just dealt with this problem after my first rotation since getting my 33"s. Balancing didn't help.come to find out the wheels were out of round! Came that way from the factory . My suggestion is to rotate the front to back and see if it helps that way at least you can narrow down the problem.

Quick Reply: Shaking at 55...