Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Shifter/transmission issue…. :(

Old 07-09-2023, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter/transmission issue…. :(

vehicle: 2008 JKU with automatic transmission.

I was doing a 3pt in a parking lot. Then noticed something wasn’t right with the shifter. It felt all loose and spongy and I noticed it wasn’t going into the correct gears as I moved it up and down. I was able to get it into DRIVE by shifting it all the to 1st. And if it was in the park position, it was actually in reverse mode.

When I backed into a parking spot (shifter was in PARK but the vehicle was actually in REVERSE) I think whatever it is broke all the way- because the shifter is now stuck in the park position and the vehicle is actually in reverse mode. So I just turned it off and set the e-brake.

ideas? Shifter cable?

Old 07-11-2023, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 471 Likes on 423 Posts

You need to get under with vehicle chokked for safety and have a friend put key in on poistion engine off and move shifter notch by notch with them confirming each point as you confiorm the lever moving from below. I have heard of linkages coming undone inside the trannies and am not familiar with a Jeep one to say for sure this happens. Also while under there and as you suggest, check the shift cable for damage/buckling.

Quick Reply: Shifter/transmission issue…. :(