Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shop is confusing me help spend my money

Old 09-10-2016, 08:00 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Take a jeep with 3.21's and 35's up s steep climb, even in 4 low it will stall out before you get to the top. A shop wants to put the biggest lift on they can as the higher you go the more you have to replace and the more money they get. Yes 33's and 3.75 all be fine on road and ok off road. The bigger tires will give you more ability off road where the lift really does almost nothing for you.

Take a look at the red link in my signature to help you understand what you are doing since you are new to jeeps.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you sir. I feel my 3k can go further with a 2.5 lift under 1500 bucks I can get new wheels which I want and 33 inch tires all for under 3k. while I like the look of the 3 inch it does nothing for me with the off roading I want to do. hell like you said the 2.5 does nothing for me but help clear the belly which I probably wont need. I do want to get in some deep water for fun lol

my big thing with any vehicle is to make sure others know it isn't stock ll
Old 09-10-2016, 08:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The biggest thing I see from people that lift jeeps is they simply do not know how to set up shocks and bump stops, even from off road shops and dealers. About 90% of the lifted jeeps I see out there are this way. People spend thousands to lift and put big tires on the jeep and have less then factory suspension travel because they can't comprehend the shock/bump set up. Most install what came in the kit and called it good. There is a lot to a suspension and steering set up and a solid axle jeep and understanding what each component does and goes a long way to making your jeep perform correctly.

Good luck with the jeep and enjoy Badlands, I do miss that place.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

well im going to do the 2.5 teraflex with fox shocks and add a trackbar. I hope that will be fine and overtime as I learn I can upgrade it. thanks and I haven't been yet been waiting to mod it a little. I just want to play in water haha I love finding puddles now its very childish but o so fun lol
Old 09-10-2016, 09:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why can't you do it yourself?
Old 09-10-2016, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Second the doing it yourself. You don't need special tools just jack stands and a jack some hand tools you will need them sooner or later,I did mine alone in 5-6 hours. There is probably someone close on the forum that would help. It will save a ton of cash and you will learn about a lot of things while under the jeep.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the 2.5" Teraflex lift on a 14 Rubicon with 33" Goodyear Kevlars. I had the same set up on an 08 X with the 3.73 gears. We wheeled that thing all over the Rockies no problems.

The reason I stuck with that combo on my Rubicon is I know how utterly capable it is and you have not crossed the line into the really expensive mods you must do if you go bigger. You put 35's on anything without properly modifying for it and you are asking for trouble.

I go 65mph up into the Rockies, air down and disconnect and play all day. Then air up, reconnect and come home at 65 mph. I can easily go over 65 at any time.

I had the longer Teraflex shocks on the 08. We upgraded to Fox Shocks for the 14. The first set would get so hot you could not hold them. The Fox shocks get warm but you can grab them without pain.

That lift will probably get you closer to 3 inches than to 2.5. That is the absolute limit, but just within it, before you have drive train mods for angles.

So for me, 33" on a 3 inch lift is the way to go. You will love it and be able to do some serious jeeping with that combo while still having a jeep to get to the hills with.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:20 AM
JK Junkie

TF 2.5 with Ranchos (Rebate now buy 3 get 4th free) and agree do it yourself for under 1g
Old 09-11-2016, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

i live by Chicago Illinois anyone wana make some money? I don have the tools or balls lol
Old 09-11-2016, 06:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll be willing to be there are folks on here that will help you free of charge. Don't be in such a rush.

Quick Reply: Shop is confusing me help spend my money