Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shop is confusing me help spend my money

Old 09-12-2016, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently lifted mine myself. Put on 3.5" terraflex coils with fox 2.0 shocks, aev geometry brackets (new control arms are coming soon). I'm running my lift on 33" tires with 17" wheels and I like my stance for now. I'll go up to 35's with flat fenders and regear at some point, but as of now it's not worth the money and it still looks pretty good. But that's just my opinion...
Old 09-12-2016, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3.5" lift with 33's is too much lift. I have a 2" lift with 35's and no rub. Put your hard-earned $$ into 4.56 gears and 35's
Old 09-13-2016, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

My intention was to do 4.56 gears and 35's at the same time, however, life got in the way. Had to change job paths and already had the lift bought so I went with it. I'll go up to gearing and 35's when I have the money to.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:59 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Az scooter
Your Statements are contradictory. You don't want them to hit, but you need room. There are a couple of ways to get room. One is to make sure that your bump stops prevent up travel. However, if one side cannot go up all the way, the other side cannot fully extend. Sure, it is only a couple of inches, but you still cannot fully extend.
I understand the desire to have low center of gravity, and it makes a lot of sense, but if you are not able to get full articulation of the suspension, because it is bound up by bump stops on the opposite side, it effects off road performance.
Where I am, we do a lot of rock crawling, because mud is non existent. I am sure that you do, too. There are many places that I could not get over without some lift, or else, you risk destroying parts, and making obstacles unnecessarily difficult. If I want to up the difficulty, I can just go turn off the lockers, and give it a shot, however, making things more difficult is harder on equipment, and makes it more likely to break stuff.
Like I said, opinions can differ. But, I am pretty confident that I am able to get more flex, with a quality lift, than someone can with no lift. You just need to be able to justify the cost vs. the desired results.
No contradiction in my statement, you need a wider stance to allow for axle rotation not lift. Not sure how you make the comment that you can't fully droop one side unless you fully stuff the other? One has nothing to do with the other. In terms of articulation lift is really not relevant.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Droop will be more affected by shock length then anything else. Good bump stops and long travel shocks will allow LGC rigs to droop out just fine.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
No contradiction in my statement, you need a wider stance to allow for axle rotation not lift. Not sure how you make the comment that you can't fully droop one side unless you fully stuff the other? One has nothing to do with the other. In terms of articulation lift is really not relevant.
If one side goes down, the other must go up. Sure, you could go the wider stance route, and everyone could put 60's on, but most people don't. Most run with the stock 30's or 44's.
What you are not compensating for is that if one tire goes down, the other needs to be able to go up. Even your jeep needs to be able to allow for the tires to swing. I guess the argument can be made that you mentioned flat fenders, that kind of proves my point, but I know that with my suspension that I would not achieve full articulation with no lift and flat fenders. I need the extra inches so that the opposite can go as high as possible, so that the opposite side can drop as much as possible. Remember that because of how the suspensions on a relatively stock jeep is designed, for every two inches one side drops, the other side needs to go up an inch. If the control arms were rigid except when they went down it would probably be different. It would also ride horribly, too.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moto1988
i live by Chicago Illinois anyone wana make some money? I don have the tools or balls lol
If you come around Indy we can do it in my garage. Should only take an afternoon.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Az scooter
If one side goes down, the other must go up. Sure, you could go the wider stance route, and everyone could put 60's on, but most people don't. Most run with the stock 30's or 44's. What you are not compensating for is that if one tire goes down, the other needs to be able to go up. Even your jeep needs to be able to allow for the tires to swing. I guess the argument can be made that you mentioned flat fenders, that kind of proves my point, but I know that with my suspension that I would not achieve full articulation with no lift and flat fenders. I need the extra inches so that the opposite can go as high as possible, so that the opposite side can drop as much as possible. Remember that because of how the suspensions on a relatively stock jeep is designed, for every two inches one side drops, the other side needs to go up an inch. If the control arms were rigid except when they went down it would probably be different. It would also ride horribly, too.
Actually, once one wheel goes up and hits the bumpstop the opposite wheel can still drop as far as the shock length allows as long as your wires and brake line are long enough. The upper side will just pivot against the bumpstop. We do this all the time on the RTI to test our suspensions. Some of our most flexy rigs have no lift and are more stable. The key for max droop is long shocks or coil overs.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:46 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Actually, once one wheel goes up and hits the bumpstop the opposite wheel can still drop as far as the shock length allows as long as your wires and brake line are long enough. The upper side will just pivot against the bumpstop. We do this all the time on the RTI to test our suspensions. Some of our most flexy rigs have no lift and are more stable. The key for max droop is long shocks or coil overs.
Agreed. Up travel and down travel are not exactly linked to each other. Which is why suspension has changed so much over the years in terms of lift height and vehicle height. Everything 15 - 20 years ago was lifted to the moon. Now guys run the JK's with 37's and a 3" lift (or no lift). Vehicle design also helped that. At the bumpstop you may have just 2 inches of up travel (which equates to more at the tire) and can have 8-10 of down travel. I posted this pic the other day, but I can stuff a tire easy and have lots of travel to work with on the other side.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2816.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	656810Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2815.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	656809
Old 09-14-2016, 08:07 AM
JK Junkie

I think the suspension has a easier time articulating allowing the one side to go up. If that makes sense. Think about when changing coils, its much easier to get a coil out if you jack one side up. So in theory yes seams right. Off road with with the weight of the jeep involved its not going to matter as much or at all? Dunno good argument.

Quick Reply: Shop is confusing me help spend my money