Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Shop is confusing me help spend my money

Old 09-14-2016, 08:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I find it easier to change coils if you remove the wheels, disconnect the shocks, and sway bar and jack the jeep up. They basically just fall out.

As long as you are not in a bind or tires hitting inside the fenders a shock will droop out. Ideally a 50/50 ratio what to strive for but you can get massive travel out of a JK without it.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flexy
If you come around Indy we can do it in my garage. Should only take an afternoon.
thank you for that offer

2.5 teraflex lift with biilstien 5100 shocks, teraflex trackbar, mickey Thompson 35 inch mtz, rockstar 3 wheels, tuner, all parts powdercoated hydro blue , tuner to adjust tire size = 3400 installed (Friday is d day)

I really wanted the 3.5 kit but I feel more comfortable doing driveline and axle stuff first and control arms then il change to higher maybe?
Old 09-14-2016, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moto1988
thank you for that offer

2.5 teraflex lift with biilstien 5100 shocks, teraflex trackbar, mickey Thompson 35 inch mtz, rockstar 3 wheels, tuner, all parts powdercoated hydro blue , tuner to adjust tire size = 3400 installed (Friday is d day)

I really wanted the 3.5 kit but I feel more comfortable doing driveline and axle stuff first and control arms then il change to higher maybe?
Sounds like you have a decent plan, but allow me to say one thing. I have no experience with TeraFlex, but everything I've read over the years...and maybe it's changed....says that their springs tend to sag quite a bit. That was one of the main reasons I decided on another manufacturer. Especially once you start adding on bumpers, armor, sliders, winch, etc. Not trying to sway your decision one way or another. Just something to think about. Lift height is actually fine, though. JK doesn't really need more than 2.5" of lift to perform well. I've been running a 2.5" Rock Krawler stock mod with stock control arms for years and never had any complaints/issues. And I run 37's.....with flat flares of course. DirtMan knows what he's talking about. If he's giving you advice....you can pretty well take it to the bank!

Once you have this stuff taken care of....next thing I'd suggest other than a regear for those 35's is upgrade your steering parts. Beefire tie rod, drag link, ball joints (OEM ones are shit)....maybe not stuff that will make a huge difference in performance but somethign to consider when stock parts fail and you have to replace them. Maybe consider armoring up that front axle in the mean time.

Quick Reply: Shop is confusing me help spend my money