Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

shudder and dies on idle

Old 10-20-2010, 05:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TX
Anybody? I would hate to think i have a loose spring in my engine with so little miles. Has anyone experienced this so early on? Did it clear up or did you find an answer?
Ive had this happen a few times never died but stumbled pretty bad. Seems to happen when idles for a long period,of time. Don't know the cause but it always runs fine at RPM's. It's a 08 with 11K on it and has done this sense new.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thitalian97
driving home one night last week my 08 jk began shuddering at speed. shudder became worse at acceleration but still had power. upon coming to a stop it abrutly died. i had to double pedal it at stops to keep it going. took it to a local shop and what they found was that the catalytic converter was causing to much back pressure causing it to misfire. this is covered under my federal emissions warranty so it was sent to the local dealer. they have had my jeep for almost a week now and still have not diagnosed the problem. has anyone else had issues like this? is it common? and if so why would the dealership be dragging their feet on this? if a local shop can figure it out why cant they? are they just trying to find a problem to make me pay or is it really something more complicated than that?
Thitalian....let us know what you find out. it is always helpful for people to post the root-cause of problems so that future jeepers have a resource of information to draw from....Thanks
Old 10-20-2010, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

shop still thinks its a stuck spring. theyre taking their sweet ass time with it. ill hopefully know more tomorrow. and the shuddering happened while i was cruising down the road at 60.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:22 PM
JK Freak

I hope they are giving you a loaner.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

jeep finally fixed. thank god. was indeed a stuck spring.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

finally picked the jeep up today. ran like a dream. however, the dealership stuck me with a $300 bill. I was initially told that everything was covered under warranty. come to find out it wasnt. i was livid i could have taken it somewhere that would have accepted my aftermarket warranty and gotten it fixed for a hell of a lot less. NEVER go to Hartwig motors in Iowa City, IA.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:11 PM
JK Freak

WTF up with that? The 08 has the life time warranty so I was told.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

bought it used doesnt apply to me unfortunately thats why i got the extended warranty. but those bastards dont accept them unless its bought from them
Old 10-26-2010, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

Really sorry to hear that.

Quick Reply: shudder and dies on idle