Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Single "ding" with oil change light at startup

Old 01-20-2010, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 07. I dont think I have the oil change indicator.

Mine also dings after startup, but only immediately after an oil change.

I figured it was normal and the sensor had to catch up?
Old 01-20-2010, 07:18 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by 999666
That is not the change oil indicator, that is the oil pressure light.
The oil change indicator actualy says "Chang Oil" in the digital display

Most likly a faulty sender but may want to get that checked out in case it really is low in oil pressure as if your oil pump is about to fail you'll pop your engine when it does.

What viscosity of oil you using? 5W20 or thicker I hope.
Oil I use is Motorcraft 5W20 Synthetic - the same I've used for almost a year now [the last 4 changes that I've had the JK so far]. And the problem [if it is that] just seems to have started around the middle of December

Wanted to see if there was something I could check before having to take it to the dealer; it gets to be a pain to have to drive 35 miles to the nearest Jeep dealer and have to restore the Hypertech programming back to stock, etc.

Originally Posted by JRod
Just to be sure it isn't the OCI light, and I dont think it is....turn the key to ON position but don;t start it. Then press the gas pedal all the way down 3 times in rapid sucession. Then start it and see if it still does it. If not, that was your issue. If it is still there, it wasn't your problem
Did that this morning, and no difference. Still does it... So I'm thinking that wasn't the problem

Originally Posted by wolfpuppies3
when you change the oil. It has no idea you changed the oil unless you reset the timer yourself.
And how do you do this? I've looked through the manual, and I couldn't find anything indicating resetting a timer? Maybe I'm overlooking something?

Originally Posted by Major Ho
I have an 07. I dont think I have the oil change indicator.

Mine also dings after startup, but only immediately after an oil change.

I figured it was normal and the sensor had to catch up?
Only difference is mine does it every cold startup.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just a thought... check your oil. maybe its low.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:06 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by racer83l
just a thought... check your oil. maybe its low.
Hmmm... I'll take a look, but I seriously doubt the oil's low. Did the oil change just last week, and it hasn't leaked any
Old 01-20-2010, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

Default Try a new filter

The one time I used a Mobil 1 filter instead of a Fram, I got the tick/knock on every startup on my 07 Sahara Unlimited, not just after the first start after the oil change. Figured it was draining back given the horizontal orientation of the filter. Installed a Fram. No more tick/knock. I would strongly suspect you got a filter with a faulty anti-drain valve. That's why your oil pressure light stays on a little longer, it takes longer to build pressure with an empty filter. Try a new filter, it's cheap insurance considering how much an engine rebuild would cost. If you still have the receipt maybe the parts store will do an exchange.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by liv2ryd
I would strongly suspect you got a filter with a faulty anti-drain valve. That's why your oil pressure light stays on a little longer, it takes longer to build pressure with an empty filter. Try a new filter, it's cheap insurance considering how much an engine rebuild would cost.
Perhaps cheap insurance but not for the anti drain issue as I use them all the time and never get the oil pressure light using the same 5w20 sythetic oil OP does.
But perhaps OP was unlucky and got a defective oil filter blocked enough to reduce oil flow to the point as to trip the sensor. Very unlikly but maybe.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would change the filter waiting til next oil change could damage the engine every time you start it has to reprime the pump because the filter is draining back into the pan. If it were mine I would just buy a new filter and change it then top off the oil to replace what is lost
Old 01-21-2010, 08:26 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by liv2ryd
The one time I used a Mobil 1 filter instead of a Fram, I got the tick/knock on every startup on my 07 Sahara Unlimited, not just after the first start after the oil change. Figured it was draining back given the horizontal orientation of the filter. Installed a Fram. No more tick/knock. I would strongly suspect you got a filter with a faulty anti-drain valve. That's why your oil pressure light stays on a little longer, it takes longer to build pressure with an empty filter. Try a new filter, it's cheap insurance considering how much an engine rebuild would cost. If you still have the receipt maybe the parts store will do an exchange.
I'll probably try that here later and see if that does anything. I've heard a few people say they had good luck with the Fram, so may go down to Autozone and get me one and see how that does.

Originally Posted by 999666
Perhaps cheap insurance but not for the anti drain issue as I use them all the time and never get the oil pressure light using the same 5w20 sythetic oil OP does.
But perhaps OP was unlucky and got a defective oil filter blocked enough to reduce oil flow to the point as to trip the sensor. Very unlikly but maybe.
Only thing I worry about on the possibility of having a defective one is this - it started doing this around middle of December which would've been my old Motorcraft filter, and when I just changed oil last week, it continues to do this - unless I got 2 bad filters? Which, in all likelihood, may be possible. Reason I went with the Motorcraft ones was that somewhere there was a thread I'd read that had compared different oils and filters and Motorcraft was rated pretty good; plus, working at a Ford dealership, it's just as easy for me to walk over to our parts department and buy the oil and filter than go down the road to an Autozone. But I might try changing the filter and put a Fram in it to see if it helps any.

Originally Posted by derby911
I would change the filter waiting til next oil change could damage the engine every time you start it has to reprime the pump because the filter is draining back into the pan. If it were mine I would just buy a new filter and change it then top off the oil to replace what is lost
I agree - that sooner, rather than later, might be the way to go with that. My only worry is, if it does the same after replacing it with a Fram or other brand... Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Thanks for all the input guys. Will try it this afternoon/evening and see if anything's different. Will post back the results.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:49 PM
JK Jedi

UPDATE:

Replaced the Motorcraft filter and decided to go with a MOPAR filter, and topped off the oil. Figured, if changing the oil filter does not solve the issue, then a trip to the dealer for some warranty work is in the near future and didn't want them saying "replace the oil filter" line. I guess, tomorrow'll tell if this solves the problem or not.

Again, wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. Y'all are a great bunch!!!
Old 01-22-2010, 01:44 PM
JK Jedi

And the result............

Well what do we know... With the Mopar filter on, this morning - no more "ding", no more "oil light" and guess what else was missing when I cold-started it??? No more engine tick/knock at cold startup either

So, while I'm not sure what is different between a Mopar filter and a Motorcraft FL-739 [which, and I've double checked this, also has an anti-drain valve], it is apparently significant enough to cause the single "ding" and the oil pressure light to flash and for the engine to have a tick/knock during cold startups. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days and weeks to see if this did indeed completely fix the issue, or if it just masked it. But I must say - it sure was a nice feeling to hear the JK start up without any racket [even if it only was for a couple of seconds] or the light flashing and getting a ding . I almost half expected it to do it when I started it this morning!

So, again, a big thanks to everyone for their suggestions and tips. This is what makes this forum such a wonderful place to hang out at!!!

Quick Reply: Single "ding" with oil change light at startup