Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Single "ding" with oil change light at startup

Old 01-22-2010, 05:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This explains why I had the knocking...in between my second and fourth oil changes I had the knocking at cold starts...went and had oil changes back at dealer and noise went away...only did the non-dealer oil change that one time and had that knocking!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I used the Motorcraft once & got the rattling & knocking; have always used the MOPAR ones since on my between-dealer service changes (mainly because my dealer's service manager gave me a handful of them as "compensation" for keeping me waiting for a few hours after calling me first & telling me the Jeep was ready & to come on in after warranty work was done) without any issues
Old 01-22-2010, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sometimes you just get a bad filter maybe the anti drain back valve was torn or not seated correctly glad that was all that was wrong
Old 01-22-2010, 07:31 PM
JK Jedi

All said and done, I think I'll just stick with the Mopar filters from now on and probably continue using the Motorcraft 5w20 Full Synthetic since that wasn't the issue. Found a place online to get those filters for around $5.26 a piece or so - so not that much more than other brands Just glad to have the knock/tick go away and no more dings!!! My worry was that the knock/tick had turned into a single ding/oil light flash and didn't want it progressing any further.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have less rattle on start up with napa gold oil filter than with the mopar
Old 01-23-2010, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Glad to see you found the culprit.
Especial glad you reported your findings to the rest of us as well.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:49 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by 999666
Glad to see you found the culprit.
Especial glad you reported your findings to the rest of us as well.
Absolutely!!! Figured, if anyone else encounters this issue, atleast there's one possible solution

Glad to say that a couple of days later - still no "ding", no oil light flashing, and no engine tick/knock at cold startup [although I have gotten used to turning the key on and waiting a couple of seconds before starting it]. Whattarelief!!!!

Quick Reply: Single "ding" with oil change light at startup