Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Small holes in muffler weld...

Old 11-13-2007, 07:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small holes in muffler weld...

Hi, I noticed an air leak in the weld on the pipe that comes from the engine into the large muffler canister. The dealer mechanic said that they were there on purpose so water from condensation can escape. Is this true? They are very small pin-sized holes along the circular weld where the pipe meets the canister. Sounds fishy to me, thanks...jim
Old 11-13-2007, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

With out a pic I'm not 100% what the hole is in your case. BUT Yes some mufflers do have 1 small hole for water to drip out of.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by twinturbostang
With out a pic I'm not 100% what the hole is in your case. BUT Yes some mufflers do have 1 small hole for water to drip out of.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try to get a photo tomorrow and you guys will have a better idea of what I'm talking about
Old 11-13-2007, 10:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is holes in the weld itself it is porosity and it doesnt belong and it stems from bad technique and or weld settings. They wouldnt put a weep hole in a weld. Porosity is pits or holes in the weld and really shouldn't effect the muffler, the holes most likely dont go all the way through the weld and in this case are just cosmetic, different story in a weld of more significants. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Quick Reply: Small holes in muffler weld...