Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Small and large and GASCAP

Old 03-07-2017, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Spytec128
Have you checked the vapor canister to make sure it is not cracked? The gas tank system is a closed system so a cracked canister can cause your symptoms.
Yes the canister looks good to me. Would it be some type of connector or regulator that attaches to it? I would assume with all 3 coming on immediately that it has to be a bad part somewhere.

Check out the link above and tell me which parts to throw money at. Like I said I can get these for cost so I wouldn't mind doing the entire thing but it doesn't make much sense to do that.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are positive it is not the gas cap or vapor can then it is going to be a little harder to find the problem. Sounds like a line could have a hole in it or a connection came loose. If the lines are good and the connections tight then there has to be a gasket leak. Check the entire fuel system from the gas cap all the way through the tank and up to the fuel rail on the engine.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Spytec128
If you are positive it is not the gas cap or vapor can then it is going to be a little harder to find the problem. Sounds like a line could have a hole in it or a connection came loose. If the lines are good and the connections tight then there has to be a gasket leak. Check the entire fuel system from the gas cap all the way through the tank and up to the fuel rail on the engine.
Take a look at the picture I posted above in the previous thread. That comes from my gas tank to the filler hole. Could that little leak be it?
Old 03-09-2017, 03:42 AM
JK Freak

I doubt it. If all three codes are popping up at the same time then it is going to be something big. I believe it is going to be a crack in your canister or the sensor.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Ok I can get the parts for cost so I guess I should just order all 3?

Anything else I should purchase to get this solved once and correctly.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Instead of throwing parts at it take it to a shop and have a smoke test done on the evap system, if there is any leaks it will show where it is, saves a ton of time and money buying parts over and over...
Old 03-09-2017, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sahara4me
Instead of throwing parts at it take it to a shop and have a smoke test done on the evap system, if there is any leaks it will show where it is, saves a ton of time and money buying parts over and over...
I hear ya on this but I may be able to get the canister and other parts for under $100.

Smoke test is gonna be easily $100 or more. Was just hoping to hear from someone that it was a common problem and to replace part "X" and all will be good to go.

Otherwise smoke test it is for sure.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2393004066.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	571.0 KB
ID:	668013  
Old 03-09-2017, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EHarris
I hear ya on this but I may be able to get the canister and other parts for under $100.

Smoke test is gonna be easily $100 or more. Was just hoping to hear from someone that it was a common problem and to replace part "X" and all will be good to go.

Otherwise smoke test it is for sure.
The white thing in your picture seals to the canister with an o-ring. They go bad sometimes. I think that part can cause problems itself I just don't remember the correct name for it. I also think there are some hard lines up by the battery that crack sometimes that can cause those codes as well. Good luck
Old 03-09-2017, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

by "hard lines" do you mean the ones that kinda look like 1/4 copper piping? Would any of this be covered under my lifetime powertrain? Im assuming the emissions system is not part of it.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EHarris
by "hard lines" do you mean the ones that kinda look like 1/4 copper piping? Would any of this be covered under my lifetime powertrain? Im assuming the emissions system is not part of it.
No, I meant the hard plastic lines. Trace them forward to the engine compartment. The problem could be there.

Quick Reply: Small and large and GASCAP