Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Small and large and GASCAP

Old 05-18-2017, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

OK well I am bringing this thread back since I still have the issue. My last post states "so far so good" however the very next day the "small and large evap leak and gas cap message" we all back. So for a while I just said screw it, got busy with using the jeep instead of maintaining it and then recently the other day I saw a smog shop next to my school with not too many cars at it. The guy told me he would smoke test it and analyze it for $75.

After having it there for over 3 hours combing through it, there is either a problem with my brand new Integrity Module or the O right that connects to it and the Evap canister. The canister is brand new and so is the purge valve and so is the gas cap.

So I suppose it is possible for Chrysler to have sold me a defective Integrity Module straight from their own parts house, however, I did notice that the electrical connector on my old part was on the right side of the module. The new one from the Jeep Parts house is part number 0486 1959 AB-001 and has the electrical connector on the left side. This is if you are looking at the module from the rear of the canister and the hose is in the 6:00 position.

I do realize that the part can be put on backwards with the hose at the 12:00 position. It appears it may still work that way but I have a poison spyder skid and it does not allow for that to happen.

I'll post the pics when I get home from work but the one pic is of the old module shot from under on the drivers side and you can see the clip is in the 6:00 position and so is the hose. The new module the clip in the 6:00 position but it flips the electrical connection to the right side.

Did they give me the wrong part? or did Chrysler maybe change this? could it be for a 2012 model 3.6?
Old 05-18-2017, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Here are the pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo777.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	671612   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo342.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	671613  
Old 05-18-2017, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

And some more. In their own diagram is on a different side than the part I have on my desk.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo605.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	671614   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo379.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	1,016.4 KB
ID:	671615  
Old 05-18-2017, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The orientation of that little white thing makes all the difference. I had the same issue for about 2 months after relocating my canister over the rear axle. I tried everything outside of smoke test and ultimately the thing that was wrong was that it was on upsidown . Flipped it 180 and my CEL and P0440 was gone and has been gone for theist 6 months

Good luck!
Old 05-19-2017, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Ok everyone this fixed it.

LET IT BE KNOWN throughout the forum land that the integrity module can apparently come wrong from the dealer parts house.

I went and returned the one they sold me and they said that I was wrong and it was the correct part. I asked him to go in the back and pull a different one off the shelf. Sure enough when we took it out of the box the electrical connector was on the same side as the one that came on my JK when purchased new in 08. The new one they sold me even though the box was labeled with the correct part number had the electrical connector on the opposite side. Everything else about it was a perfect match.

So this could be a major issue for some people or it could be a dealer parts house error. Figured I'd post it since someone else could be stuck here too.

So I had the repair correct on the first try for $40. But since it was the wrong part, I wasted a total of $200 buying a new gas cap, evap canister, purge valve and integrity module. All of those parts came to about $120 and then I had to pay another $75 for a smoke test and specialized tools to trace it back to that malfunctioning part. Wish I caught that mistake from the start.

The dealer always wins.....
Old 02-14-2021, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EHarris View Post
He is speaking of the plastic hoses that have a factory bend in them that run from the purge valve. The purge valve is that plastic looking sprinkler head thing right in front of the battery. It has two plastic hoses coming out of it. I checked mine and they look fine to me. I guess I could wrap them in tape just to see anyway. I think there is some kind of tape that like bonds into plastic? Is that safe to use on it just even as a preventive measure? I replaced my purge valve this evening and now I only have the GASCAP code appearing. The check engine small or large or both EVAP LEAK has not come on yet. There is a good chance that it will be there waiting for me first thing in the morning soooo.....I'll report back. So far I have replaced the Gas cap, Leak detection pump, leak detection gasket, purge valve amd I will replace the evap canister tomorrow if I don't have any luck wrapping with electrical tape. Im also gonna install my new poison spyder evap skid. Got it off craigs list for a very good deal brand new.
Click image for larger version

Name: image-4246306716.jpg
Views: 79
Size: 541.7 KB
ID: 668487

Nope. There's a set of rubber hoses running along side of valve cover near transmission dipstick is where my leak/crack was that I taped up and haven't had a problem since.
The two you were talking about are just not the same. The renewed one has different hoses
Old 02-14-2021, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshR77
The two you were talking about are just not the same. The renewed one has different hoses
You do realize that the last posting was 4 years ago? You're late!!

Quick Reply: Small and large and GASCAP