Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Smell from back right brake?

Old 12-24-2011, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smell from back right brake?

Just noticed it yesterday. After driving even 1/2 mile there is a burning smell coming from the back right tire. I am not sure what it is any ideas? Could it be the break rubbing and buring? Is that were the e-brake is may be its not disengageing?

2007 JKU 6 speed manual.

Thanks for your help! Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-24-2011, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Could be your E-brake shoe is sticking
Old 12-24-2011, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default brake

Or it could be the caliper is hanging up. Have you put pads on latley? I had the same problem last spring with the left rear, after putting pads on.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same problem from the driver rear about a year and a half ago. Ended up having to replace the caliper.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd jack up the rear axle and see how hard it is to spin the back right tire vs back left tire. If it seems like the pads are dragging, you could pull the caliper off the rotor and push the piston back in, bolt the caliper back on, hit the brakes a few times, and see if it's releasing right by hand spinning the tire.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the helpo everyone.

One more question...

I am at my parents and don't really have access to anything. If I drive it the way it is would there be anything bad that could happen? Other than the break maybe wearing out and then I would have to replace it. There shouldn't be any issues with something catching fire or anything?
Old 12-26-2011, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

Funny, I've noticed this twice on my 11 JK (1800 miles) thinking it was just new. Could it be the HSA (Hill start assist) malfunctioning?
Old 12-27-2011, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hello, had the same problem with my 08 X, I have a 6 speed also. My passenger rear caliper was hanging up around 35K miles. I smelled samething you did and wheel got insane hot. Had both rear calipers replaced along with new pads while at shop. Now my E-brake is sticking, I don't use it anymore, shop can't seem to get it right and I'm tired of taking it back. It rubs a little when backing up and turning wheel, makes a loud noise but going forward is okay. Very frustrating but I still love my Jeep. Lol
Old 12-27-2011, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Belly
Funny, I've noticed this twice on my 11 JK (1800 miles) thinking it was just new. Could it be the HSA (Hill start assist) malfunctioning?
Can't be the hill assist for me, I have a 2007 so I don't have the feature.

I just roll back on hills and hit the person behind me if I don't start fast enough. So far I have never had that problem. I guess the hill assist was put in place for people that can't handle the stick right? (not knocking anyone that has it, it was not their choice it was put in)
Old 12-27-2011, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

Same thing (rxcept drivers side) on my 08 X (41K miles) this past week. Actually I am going to pick it up from the dealer today they said it was a bad caliper. We'll see if this fixes it.

Quick Reply: Smell from back right brake?