Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Snow Problem...

Old 12-27-2012, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Problem...

2013 Unlimited Auto. We got some snow after christmas, no plows, it changed to rain later. Temps right at freezing. I drove the vehicle in thesnow for one trip and then back home no problems. Lots of snow build up on steps, fenders etc. Next trip more sleet and rain, lots of slush built up on road. Drive to dinner, go to put it in park and the transmission shifter will not move. I stop think a minute- brakes on, engine is still running, key in etc, so no electronic lock outs for safety etc. So I push the shifter a bit harder starts to move- one detent, then some more force and the next detent. Make it to park.

Figure it has to be snow and ice built up on the shifter arm on trans. But we have basically no snow, so how did so much snow get up under the jeep and packed in the frame. An inch, maybe, inch and a half on the road. No problems with the shifter getting home. But the next mornig go to check it out and there is a ton of snow and Ice still jammed up above the crappy skid and the trans, exhaust and bottom of the body. Very shocking the build up of snow around the trans and body.

Now Ive done my share of driving in snow- Ive had plow trucks in 20" with the frame packed with snow and never had any shifting problems - anyone elese experiencing this in the snow? Today I still had a big puddle under the Jeep as the snow mass is still melting. Not too happy with this - Ill have to look, could I be missing a skid plate or protective piece.? Anyone else experience this?
Old 12-28-2012, 03:14 AM
JK Newbie

I live in NH and we got 8" of snow yesterday. It was my first storm in my jku, and I drove around for like 3 hours. I didn't have any issues. Mine is a stick tranny, I'm guessing yours is automatic? I was really happy how my jeep traveled thru the snow/slush. We saw trucks and cars off the road all over the place and I never slippped.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevevb
2013 Unlimited Auto. We got some snow after christmas, no plows, it changed to rain later. Temps right at freezing. I drove the vehicle in thesnow for one trip and then back home no problems. Lots of snow build up on steps, fenders etc. Next trip more sleet and rain, lots of slush built up on road. Drive to dinner, go to put it in park and the transmission shifter will not move. I stop think a minute- brakes on, engine is still running, key in etc, so no electronic lock outs for safety etc. So I push the shifter a bit harder starts to move- one detent, then some more force and the next detent. Make it to park.

Figure it has to be snow and ice built up on the shifter arm on trans. But we have basically no snow, so how did so much snow get up under the jeep and packed in the frame. An inch, maybe, inch and a half on the road. No problems with the shifter getting home. But the next mornig go to check it out and there is a ton of snow and Ice still jammed up above the crappy skid and the trans, exhaust and bottom of the body. Very shocking the build up of snow around the trans and body.

Now Ive done my share of driving in snow- Ive had plow trucks in 20" with the frame packed with snow and never had any shifting problems - anyone elese experiencing this in the snow? Today I still had a big puddle under the Jeep as the snow mass is still melting. Not too happy with this - Ill have to look, could I be missing a skid plate or protective piece.? Anyone else experience this?
08 auto trans here never had that problem. Do you have one of the newer ones with the skid bar instead of the skid plate under the trans?

Last edited by AirJordan613; 12-28-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:03 AM
JK Freak

Never had that problem yet. Drove through a lot of snow, and all was good.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had snow and ice build up on the steering stabilizer that gave me a death wobble so I wouldn't doubt it
Old 12-28-2012, 04:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's bs. Take it to dealer
Old 12-28-2012, 04:56 AM
JK Freak

That's shitty =[ why I drive a stick lol
Old 12-28-2012, 05:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Just get a full engine and trans skid.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Still kinda sucks that a stock jeep can't get through a day of snow and ice. I would think the jeep could handle that with ease.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redman333
Still kinda sucks that a stock jeep can't get through a day of snow and ice. I would think the jeep could handle that with ease.
It can. I do much worse every day of the winter.

Quick Reply: Snow Problem...