Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

So embarrassing.....help with zipper please

Old 05-24-2020, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy So embarrassing.....help with zipper please

So stupid,swallowed my pride and thought I'd reach out..... looking at buying my first wrangler, have it for the weekend, and when trying to put rear window back, I started zipping it in with window backwards....so now jammed, can't separate????? I guess it's good I didn't buy it yet....but I need to fix it, anyone??
Old 05-24-2020, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes you can use a fork to help the zipper come apart.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pita

Try WD-40 type lubricants and/or loosen the other parts of the top. Jeep soft tops are a PITA. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I keep a hairspray bottle full of plain old water in the back of the Jeep. The water will lube it good enough to keep it from sticking. Might work for you if not try silicone spray.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I lube all the zippers on my soft top.

Try to find a dive shop in your area - I use silicone Dry Suit zipper lube - it usually comes in a tube or a spray.

I go over the zips about every month or so - no worries !

My two cents ...
Old 05-26-2020, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is it a new or used jeep? I know when we bought our used wranger, we made sure to test the top out and all the zipper windows. We were unable to get the back window in due to the zippers coming completely off, and the side windows would zip, but instantly start to separate, so we made them replace the top before we took delivery of it. Unfortunately they ended up putting on the cheapest top you could get, that is not nearly the same quality as OEM and definitely has way more road and wind noise then the 9 year old factory top.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:36 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you for all the replies, I got it. Besides from being an indecisive one to begin with, I can’t decide hard tip vs soft top, , I really like the soft top looks but I live in upstate ny and worried about snow weight as I have a job that I can’t go outside to brush car for the eight hours I’m working... is that going to be a problem?
Old 05-26-2020, 02:21 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

2dr or 4dr? Do you have a garage at home or have to park outside? That is a big factor to me. If you have a garage, a lift has the hard top on/off in a few minutes. I'd rather have a hard top. You can always find used soft tops on craigslist to fulfill a spring/summer desire need if you want. If it's a 4dr jeep, those soft tops are much more cumbersome than 2dr tops.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Upstate like Albany? Soft top. Like Plattsburgh? Hard top. For your month of summer you can take the hard top off and use a trek top or other aftermarket canvas.

EDIT: I just saw Livonia... hard top. One good lake effect storm and you'll be glad. Plus, the soft top rear window doesn't like to open without cracking when it's under 20 degrees.

Last edited by RepressedSince15; 05-27-2020 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:04 PM
JK Newbie

I’m going to take my chances with soft top and hope I don’t regret decision. Do I buy extended warranty for it ???2018 with 26000 miles? I know it doesn’t cover top?

Quick Reply: So embarrassing.....help with zipper please