Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

So many problems with TPMS

Old 02-06-2018, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So many problems with TPMS

With all the issues wit the TPMS, why have them?
2011 Jeep JK.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:44 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

MANY people feel your pain, and disable the feature completely. They can indeed be frustrating.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I never had issues with TPMS, the issue I have is buying 2nd hand wheels and tires without them. There is no point in hassling with that so yeah I've disabled the feature.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by davejeep
With all the issues wit the TPMS, why have them?
2011 Jeep JK.
I never found a use for them in my 2009. So once they started giving me troubles, I gave one attempt to fix them, fix didn't work, then threw them in the garbage where they belong, turned off the light and have never looked back.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry for the double post!
Old 02-13-2018, 07:09 AM
JK Newbie

Anyone have a link to show me how to disable the TPMS?
Old 02-13-2018, 07:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by sped
Link for disabling the TPMS?
You'd need to use a programmer. I think almost all of them will allow you to disable the feature completely.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

Amazon? I hate the system that much. LOL
Old 02-13-2018, 09:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
You'd need to use a programmer. I think almost all of them will allow you to disable the feature completely.
Not exactly. Depending on which Superchips Flashcal model you have, some allow you only to disable the pressure threshold (not change it), and if you have bad/no sensors you will still get a TPMS warning light. So if you want to DISABLE TPMS then choose your programmer wisely. BTW mine would allow adjusting of the pressure threshold or disabling entirely before I "upgraded" the firmware. Those programmers are only slightly above being a complete scam IMHO.

In the end it's cheaper and easier to just make it work than it is to try and make it be reliably disabled. You can buy tire sensors for $15/ea on Amazon and get them installed for $10/tire or less if you shop around. Any way you slice it that's cheaper than a programer.

I say get with the 21st century and let the Jeep tell you your tire pressure.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:13 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I have tried several over the years, buying/selling/losing at varies times. My experience is that:

DiabloSport InTune - would lower, but would not disable.

Superchips Flashpaq/Flashcal - would both lower and disable when I first got one, but these seem to have gone through many policy changes and coding changes over the years, so can be really hit or miss as to whether they will do what you want, when you want it to. At one point, I could not lower psi or turn off tpms. And their tech support sucks... unless you are persistant and get lucky finding just the right tech who has a clue. (had a flashpaq, sold it, later bought a flashcal to replace a lost procal, they ran a half-price upgrade special, so upgraded to a flashpaq again. Then went out and bought another procal anyway...)

AEV ProCal - both of them have been flawless. Every option they advertise is available and works as expected.

Quick Reply: So many problems with TPMS