Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top Cleaner

Old 04-08-2015, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top Cleaner

Hey everyone - need a little help. I recently purchased a used soft top and am getting ready to install soon. Unfortunately, the previous owner smoked - and pretty heavy so it seems. Any great tricks on getting the cigarette smell out? I have already scrubbed the windows but they still reek . I am more worried about the main top though. That might be a bear to get clean. It is just the standard vinyl.

Appreciate any help.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best top makes a spray on cleaner for the outside canvas "smells like coconuts", as for the inside i spray it with a solution of vinegar and water just spray it on and wipe it off, some well soak into the fabric but that's ok cause it will kill the smell.. The outside of the windows i clean by spraying it off with a hose first then with a clean soft microfiber cloth and a mixture of mild dish soap and water i clean the outside window. Dry the window with a dry microfiber cloth, it wont remove scratches but it cleans up nice.
Good Luck,
Augi
Old 04-09-2015, 02:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After scrubbing with any and all solutions, leave a few lemons cut into quarters inside, they'll draw the smell away. I didn't believe this old tale until rented a house to a family of curry eaters......the house reeked when they left and cleaning didn't help -- two weeks of lemons had the smell gone. Honestly !!
Old 04-09-2015, 03:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've heard leaving a bowl of white vinegar in the Jeep will remove the odor. Of course you can only do it when you aren't driving it. Longer the better...like 24 hours.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks for the info...

Thanks for the ideas. I will try anything and everything at this point.

I'll let you know which one worked.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

I used soap and water which got the majority of it away, left it out to dry and air out, then kept a can of febreze with me for a week or so. Smell is completely gone
Old 04-28-2015, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the bestop kit. It comes with a cleaner and protectant.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of febreeze.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could use baking soda, a charcoal decontamination kit, or simple green as an alternative. I think smoking in vehicles should lower the sale value but that's only me. Before people come and beat me up I'm an ex smoker but I wouldn't smoke in doors or etc out of respect. Something the world is lacking in right now.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default As far as "foggy" windows

Hardtop only on the JK, but have had soft tops, (3), on the TJ since I bought it in '00.
To clear up the scratched, foggy windows I have used furniture polish in the past, (lightly applied, buffed like crazy), but recently I have moved up to using Turtle Ice wax to clear up the old windows.

Quick Reply: Soft Top Cleaner