Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Soft Top Compatibility

Old 11-22-2017, 03:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Soft Top Compatibility

I'm looking for a used soft top for my '15 2 door. Has there been fitment changes so only certain years will fit my JK?
Old 11-22-2017, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I believe there were minor changes throughout the years. The best way to do this is get ALL of the soft top. That means the door surrounds, the bracket that the top mounts to that is located on the sport bars, and the clips that are on the tub for the rear window.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Yes, if you have the hardware then any year will fit. You'll (ideally) want a 13+ top. The 07-09 is not going to be a good option because they use a different (inconvenient) system of latching. The 11+ had a wider rear window.

Door surrounds are the only hardware that changed. They changed the size of the material so you have to pair the windows with the correct main top fabric.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You definitely want an '11 and up top! The newer tops use a cable system to secure the sides of the top down, instead of flap tuck method. The wider rear window is also great for improved visiblility. As stated above, make sure you get the newer window surrounds with the top. Check Craigslist for deals. I found my last 2 tops that were brand new take-offs, for under $400. That included the window surrounds. There is also a difference in the material with the new tops. There is the canvas top, and the twill. The twill will have a much deeper black. It is a nicer looking top for sure, but if you have half doors like me...then it won't match the uppers. I know that when I bought my last top, Mopar was not making the half door uppers in the twill material.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait, so any year soft top will fit my 2009 as long as I get the door surrounds and I assume the tailgate bar?
Old 02-21-2018, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by adamisadam
Wait, so any year soft top will fit my 2009 as long as I get the door surrounds and I assume the tailgate bar?
Door surrounds and the correct windows for the top are the important pieces. I swap out the tailgate bar as preventative maintenance against the rubber aging and developing a leak. You'll be much happier with a 10+ soft top on your 09.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What he said. The only thing that changed with the windows was the back window. The side windows on the 2 doors are all interchangeable. The tailgate bar is the same as well, but as stated above...it never hurts to have newer rubber on one.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:34 AM
JK Junkie

Is this true for the 4 doors too? That I can get a 4 door soft top from any year, ie, newer than my 2009? This is very good news indeed. My old top has served me well but is getting long in the tooth... the rear zipper tooth to be exact!
Old 02-21-2018, 11:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by adamisadam
Is this true for the 4 doors too? That I can get a 4 door soft top from any year, ie, newer than my 2009? This is very good news indeed. My old top has served me well but is getting long in the tooth... the rear zipper tooth to be exact!
It's all the same. You just need to have the corresponding hardware for that top. One piece nobody mentioned previously are the roll bar brackets on the 4dr. The new spring assist tops use a different bracket on the rollbar than the older tops did.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:20 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by resharp001
it's all the same. You just need to have the corresponding hardware for that top. One piece nobody mentioned previously are the roll bar brackets on the 4dr. The new spring assist tops use a different bracket on the rollbar than the older tops did.
ok! Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Soft Top Compatibility