Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

soft top for dummies question...

Old 06-17-2007, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft top for dummies question...

For those of you with the dual tops on the unlimited i have a hopefully easy question. I've taken off my hard top and am using the soft top for the summer. Now when u put the soft top down you strap the bars to the top of the rear quarter where the hard top bolted down with some velcro straps. The problem is that i can't fit the strap though the hole with the hardware there for the hard top. So how can i remove the hardware without breaking it, which i almost did?

Also, on another note the first time i tried to drop the top the girlfriend helped me and tried to bend the bars the wrong way and broke one of the plastic hinges(the one that locks in above the b-piller), does anyone know if i can buy one of these from the dealer seperate?

Thanks, we're jeep newbies that just wanna enjoy the top down for the summer!
Old 06-17-2007, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Muddy_Rubicon
For those of you with the dual tops on the unlimited i have a hopefully easy question. I've taken off my hard top and am using the soft top for the summer. Now when u put the soft top down you strap the bars to the top of the rear quarter where the hard top bolted down with some velcro straps. The problem is that i can't fit the strap though the hole with the hardware there for the hard top. So how can i remove the hardware without breaking it, which i almost did?

Also, on another note the first time i tried to drop the top the girlfriend helped me and tried to bend the bars the wrong way and broke one of the plastic hinges(the one that locks in above the b-piller), does anyone know if i can buy one of these from the dealer seperate?

Thanks, we're jeep newbies that just wanna enjoy the top down for the summer!

Welcome - you've come to the right place!

First - forget the hole. That retaining nut piece needs to stay there. Just wrap the velcro around the poles.

Here is a pic of mine...that bundle underneath is the clover patch roll with the windows. Other pics can be found in the gallery through the link at the left.

Can't say for certain on the plastic but have you tried Gorilla glue? I'm sure you'll get posts in reference to the part but don't sweat the velcro issue.

Enjoy!

Last edited by AZToad; 06-17-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:19 PM
JK Freak

I've strapped my top down both ways, thru the holes and just around the bars (like in the pic above). Either way works but if you want to take those hardtop clips out there was a link somewhere, I looked for it but couldn't find it. They DO pop out but there was a trick to it, had to start from inside and pull towards you or something, I cann't remember ... I don't have a hardtop so I never tried it.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks! that makes things easy!
Old 06-18-2007, 04:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AZToad
Welcome - you've come to the right place!

First - forget the hole. That retaining nut piece needs to stay there. Just wrap the velcro around the poles.

Here is a pic of mine...that bundle underneath is the clover patch roll with the windows. Other pics can be found in the gallery through the link at the left.

Can't say for certain on the plastic but have you tried Gorilla glue? I'm sure you'll get posts in reference to the part but don't sweat the velcro issue.

Enjoy!

How did you get yours to fold so nicely? Mine never wants to fold up like that. It just seems to want to fold in several large layers and bunch up against my tire. I tried following the guide on the project-jk site, but it didn’t help much. Is there a secret I’m missing for folding a soft top?
Old 06-18-2007, 06:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by atomicmecha
How did you get yours to fold so nicely? Mine never wants to fold up like that. It just seems to want to fold in several large layers and bunch up against my tire. I tried following the guide on the project-jk site, but it didn’t help much. Is there a secret I’m missing for folding a soft top?
Easy... kind of! Practice practice much swearing practice reading this forum practice voilà!!

It is one of those things where once you get the sunrider folds down right so that there are no folds dropping down into the back seat, then if you go from the sunrider position (with the velcro straps on for help), flip up those sails and start bringing the whole unit down while continuing to make extra folds.

Trick - once everything is down, take the tips of those folds and bend them in towards the center of the folds and then fold or roll any excess into the center of the entire package. Until my boot cover gets here (hopefully by mid week), I am still using the vinyl cover used for shipping.

As soon as I can free up some space in the gallery, I'll post some picks on the folds itself - or find some on here. If you search for Jeeping 101 - there are some other links and photos that might be of assistance in the meantime.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AZToad
Trick - once everything is down, take the tips of those folds and bend them in towards the center of the folds and then fold or roll any excess into the center of the entire package. Until my boot cover gets here (hopefully by mid week), I am still using the vinyl cover used for shipping.
AH-HA! so thats what i've been missing. I thought of doing that but was afraid of breaking something. that solves everything. THANKS!

guess when my jeep goes in for a recall tomorrow, i'll ask if they have any of those boots laying around, i wouldnt mind the one they used for shipping.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by atomicmecha
AH-HA! so thats what i've been missing. I thought of doing that but was afraid of breaking something. that solves everything. THANKS!

guess when my jeep goes in for a recall tomorrow, i'll ask if they have any of those boots laying around, i wouldnt mind the one they used for shipping.
This vinyl shipping bag has certainly been useful and the price was right! (0$ - well - kind of - I'm sure it was well paid for).

Regardless of how ugly - it is at least still protecting the top!
Old 06-18-2007, 11:08 AM
JK Junkie

With a little effort and practive, I've been able to do a pretty good job of folding down the soft top, but I have a REALLY annoying rattle from where the metal hooks (that hook against the windshield loops when the top is up) blow around in the wind and flutter against the top... then I saw this thread and realized that I should have been using the shipping boot, which would totally fix that problem! Thanks for the pic - definitely helpful for me (I was wondering how I'd fix that problem, short of taping the hooks against the top!).

Quick Reply: soft top for dummies question...