Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top install (Door Surrounds) issue

Old 04-06-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top install (Door Surrounds) issue

I've got my soft top installed.. but can't manage to get the edges to seat in the door surrounds...

My jeep is an '07.. and came with dual tops.. The dealership lost the door surrounds.. so ordered new ones... Did they change them?

I'm thinking maybe the dealership got me '11 surrounds, and my '07 soft top is incompatible?

Stangely.. I had no trouble with the zip in windows, or anything else.. They were mainly feats of strength and cunning to get installed... but this rail issue has me down right pissed off.. LOL
Old 04-06-2011, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

The surrounds changed in 2010, when they switched from the plastic channels to the using the cable to keep the top secured to the door surrounds.

Being an 07, has the soft top been on before? I know that the first time I put mine on, I had one heck of a time getting it on. One thing that I found was that installing the top on a wam day, and letting the top sit outside and warm up in the sun, makes it a little more pliable and somewhat easier to get on.

Once you get in on, and the more you out it up/down, the easier it will get as it stretches out.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i bet they got you 2010/2011 surrounds.. they are different and do not work with the 07 - 09 softtops.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Leave it to the dealership.... I'm almost positive now that they got me the wrong one... and the shit of it is that I reminded them that they changed the soft-tops at some point in production.. and to make sure and order me the right parts...

I didn't realize that the door surrounds had changed as well.... but either way.. They're idiots.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about how to tell if the surrounds are the right ones for your top, but like Kwlinder pointed out the first time you put them on they are tough. I gave up on mine after about 30 minutes of cursing. The next day I drove my jeep into work and got a buddy to help me. It still took a lot of pulling but it worked.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got everything stretched on... I had it sitting in the sun the whole time.. and it was a headache... but not undoable.. I had the top latched down, and all of the windows on.... But above the doors, I couldn't find a 'channel' that would accept the loose overhang on the soft top... I even tried a rubber mallet, and other techniques....

Nope.. I'm well convinced that I have the wrong parts.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by remark
I gave up on mine after about 30 minutes of cursing. The next day I drove my jeep into work and got a buddy to help me. It still took a lot of pulling but it worked.
When you put your top up, did you attach the header first?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tavic
When you put your top up, did you attach the header first?
Yep. That could have been my problem.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:13 AM
JK Junkie

letting it sit in the sun for awhile first makes a big difference..
Old 04-07-2011, 09:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well.. Got it to the dealer today.. They had ordered a whole Softtop kit for my Jeep... They DID order it by part number... but the 'accessory' soft top came with different parts than the OEM soft top...

They ended up just giving me the rest of the kit.. so now I have an '11 STYLE soft top on my '07.. it has the ropes and springs for the side guard.. and also has a better middle arch bar to keep water from pooling.

Thanks for your help guys!

Quick Reply: Soft Top install (Door Surrounds) issue