Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

soft top leaking / disappointed / undecided / input please

Old 10-12-2007, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft top leaking / disappointed / undecided / input please

I have a JK 2007 four door (1/2 door option). Took delivery in July and after the first real rain the interior looked more like a pool than a Jeep. Had to have the carpets removed by the dealer and dried for two days.

dealer initially did not find and defects but after awhile they found problems with the rear door seals. They replaced all seals.

Had a conversation with the service manager and he claimed it was going to "leak a little" no matter what. Claimed more than one person has had Chy buy them back at their dealership. In a round about way he told me they would keep trying but ultimately I would have to go lemon if it bothered me enough. don not get me wrong the dealer has been cooperative and sympathetic to my problem

My delima is that over the past two days rain has entered thru the front driver front and leaked down the A pillar. Not sure where it cam in but the rear passenger floor is soaked, and the passenger front has a small amount.

I called today to make my third appointment for this issue and am not sure what direction they can or will go.

New door tops, new top, or try to bull**** around the issue figuring I will lemon law it anyway.

I really like the jeep and there is not another vehicle I would want. However, I get discouraged thinking I am never going to get this fixed and
have to live with the problem. If I decided to go lemon I do not want another one with the same potential problem.

Even worse I have some mods done that I guess would have to be undone for lemon and I already sold the tires and wheels. Have a host of mods I would love to do but am afraid at this point.

Placed a call to DC and waiting on a return call but at this point I am disappointed and unsure where to go with this.

I k now this has been addressed many times in various posts but I needed to vent and did not want it lost in another post.

Any suggestions and what would you do within reason of the law.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would try another dealer. The line about it leaking "a little" no matter what is pure BS. It just sounds like he doesn't really want to be bothered with trying to fix it.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

I don't know, maybe I'm young and stupid (not that anybody here is old ) but I sort of came into this expecting a leak. Now, a puddle on the floor is one thing, but my jeep has that "over the door handle dribble" when it gets to raining good. I knew when I picked this up, that a $19,000 chrysler 4wd is not going to be a BMW rag top roadster. Granted, some jeeps are at and above $30,000, so I'm sure there's a lot more frustration when you bought more.

Having a softtop that leaves puddles in your jeep is unacceptable. But, it seems like you're in a sticky situation with the modifcations done. I don't know if a dealer can use modifications against you when you have to start dealing with lemon law junk, but I'd think they could.

The softtop leak is probably one of the most complained about problems on this forum. We represent only a small portion of new wrangler owners, so I'm sure there are a ton more owners on the same bus as us. Now, I don't know what's taking DC so long to find the fix to this, but it's bound to be done soon. With everybody bringing their jeep in repeatedly for the same issue, DC is loosing money. They're losing more money when owners try to get their jeep bought back. Now, I'm no expert in the auto industry, but I'm sure DC is working to get this fixed, and if they aren't, perhaps some of the competent dealers out there are devising up their own solutions.

So, in my opinion, if you love your jeep, keep bringing it in. All of us should keep bringing ours in. Yes, it's inconvenient, but it's the only way it will get fixed. It may take a little more time before DC gets the hint, but I'm sure if every owner comes in with the same issue twice.... or three times.... or four times..... they'll find a way to fix it. Heck, it's 2007! We have the technology to keep giant submarines underwater for years on end without a leak. Surely, somebody out there can fix a leaky soft top!
Old 10-12-2007, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

My current '03 TJ w/ both tops does not leak. The 2 YJs I owned, one w/ a soft top and another w/ both neither leaked except when I was driving in the rain w/ the top down or windows out. The myth that jeep's leak a little goes back prior to YJs because the plastics and seals weren't payed too much attention to. I wouldn't expect problems to this degree after my expereince w/ my TJ and my YJs. After reading all the threads here, when I get my JK I'm taking it through a jeep wash to make sure there aren't any leaks.

When I went to Camp Jeep in PA in '05 I sat at one of the engineer round tables. One of the engineers there was in charge of soft tops and accessories. The problem w/ loose seat belts was known and everyone already knew about it, but no one brought up leaking soft tops. This is new to the JKs.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:52 AM
JK Super Freak

I seriously doubt they are working on a fix.

FWIW My TJ had some serious water leaks when it was new. It took probably 4 trips in to nail down what the cause was. But eventually it was fixed and never leaked again. Turned out it was the door seals. I had lost all faith that they could fix it and was prepared to live with it because I loved the truck so much. Whatever you decide, good luck.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

FWIW, my soft top leaked the first real rain and hasn't leaked since. I cleaned the excess windshield sealant and reglued the weatherstrip and that seemed to cure the leaks.

The weatherstrip forms the rain gutter on the JK, and channels it to the front of the door and down the door seam. But it's supposed to seal it from the body so it doesn't leak inside.

Jeff
Old 10-12-2007, 12:35 PM
JK Freak

Got a call from the dealer. This was my third time taking it in for the leaking top. They said they found the problem. Mind you, I already had them install a new header seal atop the windshield. They said the door seals were coming apart and getting pinched improperly. Uh okay, whatever. They said it does not leak now and they tested it with a pressure washer. Umm, well I told them that the manual says not to use a pressure washer on the soft top and they said, well, it won't leak now even if you use one.

Anyway, I can't pick it up until Monday, as I am out of town, so I will let you know if it finally is fixed. If not, I already have the letter drafted for DCX Corporate so that they can make the fourth and final repair under Michigan's Lemon Law.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Default No leak, here

I've got an 07 4dr Hardtop with NO leak. Not driving, sitting, washing, etc. Nada.
I understand that some do have leaks, but some don't. Maybe it's how the top is handled when the panels are removed or replaced.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only time my top leaks is when my wife steps up to "help" me put the top up. I figure that leak is nature's way of telling me to unhook everything and do it up right. Ooo, here she comes gotta post.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

A pressure washer is the wrong thing to use to test for a leak. I can make any soft top vehicle leak with a pressure washer.

Try this test. I worked at a dealer in college and they used this method with success.

Close up every thing. Turn the blower on high, panel vent, no recirc button. Wash the Jeep with very soapy sudsy water. Leave the soap on for a minute or two. The big, giant, obvious, growing bubbles indicate the leaks. Low ones under flaps and edges on your soft top are not the problem. The others are the problem. If the test won't work use masking tape to cover the vent in the tailgate and retest. You will find the leaks without having to chase little drops under trim.

That method will save the "try a new seal every time he complains" syndrome. Don't tell the dealer about it or you may loose your lemon law visits.

Quick Reply: soft top leaking / disappointed / undecided / input please