Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top Question

Old 01-22-2014, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top Question

Quick question - I have been searching craigslist for about a month now to find a soft top to use during the summer. Found one with all hardware and parts included for just over 200 bucks - a steal. The only problem I have is that I have a 08' JK (hardtop only) and the soft top belongs to a 2010. I know that Jeep started making the soft tops differently in 2009 and am curious if it'll work with my specific Jeep. I haven't been able to find much useful information, and I know y'all can help me out.

-Thanks!
Old 01-22-2014, 06:58 PM
JK Freak

I thought the soft top redesign took place for the 2010 model year. In any case, the top should work just fine if all the bows/hardware is indeed included.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:09 PM
JK Junkie

The change did happen in 2010 and you need the door surrounds to make it work. Everything else (hardware wise) is universal. The window size changed down the road and in 08/09 they changed the header material due to a bunch of complaints over noise and leaks.

You'll be happier with a 2010+ if you drop the top regularly. The early ones are a pain to tuck up front. The 10+ has the cables and it's much easier. Take my experience with a grain of salt......only had 5 TJ's with the old style soft top and 1 JK with the new style. I wouldn't go back to the old style and I despise dropping the top on the old ones.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: Soft Top Question