Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Soft top rear window question

Old 06-13-2016, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top rear window question

What's the best way to roll up my rear window and prevent it from getting scratched? Someone suggested that I roll a soft towel up between the layers but wouldn't that increase the weight on those elastic straps and decrease their life?
Suggestions?
Old 06-13-2016, 12:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have a good suggestion for you but my '15 rear window is somewhat cloudy-scratched where it rolls up and the elastic loops chafe it. I think the biggest issue is dirt/dust as the loops rub against the window material but I don't see anyway to prevent dirt from getting on it even if you clean the window before rolling it up mine draws road dirt dust up onto that area as you drive.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They make a storage duffle for it. You unzip both side windows and the rear and roll them up in felt pages then store that in a bag that hangs from the rollbars in the back under the folded top. I love mine. Only wish I got it sooner. I got one to keep it from getting worse but it was already pretty bad.

Last edited by Cutman; 06-15-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually roll my back window down. Then I use one of the Velcro straps for the sunrider to keep it rolled tight. Mine is a 2012 2 door and I don't think it's that scratched up. I like that I can drop the top right on it. Then I slip the side windows between the backseat and the top.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just got a soft top, so no experience with window storage. However, my first attempt so far is to use 4" PVC pipe cut to 53". The rear window and tailgate bar are rolled up in a thin fleece blanket and slid into the PVC pipe. The pipe fits under the rear seat.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Broncorif
I just got a soft top, so no experience with window storage. However, my first attempt so far is to use 4" PVC pipe cut to 53". The rear window and tailgate bar are rolled up in a thin fleece blanket and slid into the PVC pipe. The pipe fits under the rear seat.
Curious on how you've done it. Got some pics?
Old 06-14-2016, 01:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I made a duffle for mine but lately I have just been unzipping the rear window and just letting it fall into the rear storage area, leaving the tailgate bar attached. Hasn't scratched yet. When removing the side windows too I use the duffle.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkdoppler
Curious on how you've done it. Got some pics?
I spray painted the ends of the pvc so it would not be so obvious. The pipe fits perfectly under the rear seat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3944196200.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	543.3 KB
ID:	649721
Old 06-14-2016, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My take is a bit different. On my last JK, I tried all sorts of ideas to keep my zip-out windows from getting scratched/clouded. Every idea eventually became a hassle. On my current JK, I found that I'm much happier just letting them get scratched up as I constantly take them off/roll them up.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by warpeg
My take is a bit different. On my last JK, I tried all sorts of ideas to keep my zip-out windows from getting scratched/clouded. Every idea eventually became a hassle. On my current JK, I found that I'm much happier just letting them get scratched up as I constantly take them off/roll them up.
That's my method too! I found there's almost no way to keep these soft plastic Windows scratch free and it increased the time exponentially taking the top down trying. I unzip the sides of the rear window, roll it up, and use the elastic straps on the top. The side windows are laid in the back or tucked between the soft doors when they're off. Once in a while if the windows are getting real bad I use the bestop repair kit and polish them.

Quick Reply: Soft top rear window question