Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

soft top side window problem.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question soft top side window problem.

first off, im pretty sure i know how to put the windows on. i know the channel has to be locked in the door jam and the channel has to be locked in the bottom part of the window.

now my rear passenger window will go in with no problems at all, but the drivers side rear window will not snap into place. ive tried starting the door jam by the bottom, by the top, just getting the zipper started, full zip, zipping to only the corner, bottom rail in, bottom rail off and any other combination you can think of. still no luck.

this is what i end up with each and every time:

door ajar.

door shut.

figured id ask for input here before i make the trip to the dealer. one thing that comes to mind is that the passenger side window was replaced with one they had in stock due to the fact that there was a big scratch on the plastic when i picked it up... maybe the driver side just needs to be stretched?

ideas?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had some issues with my driver's side also...but not THAT bad. You've tried attaching that end BEFORE you zip the window all the way right? That's what helps me, but if it's off by that much I guess you may need to get that window replaced......might be a bad one?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:08 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm the opposite - I zip it completely first, then slip it into the channels. It is really tight, but I just keep fighting with it until it's in.

Make sure it's not getting hung up on the velcro - that stuff is tougher than I thought it would be. I usually have to pull it off the velcro so it will stretch enough to fit into the side channel.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:46 PM
JK Jedi Master

wierd, Mine isnt tight at the driver side rear corner. I said screw it, I dont want the dealer messing it up
Old 10-17-2007, 08:38 PM
JK Junkie

Mine wasn't that bad, but I do this:

1. Zip up half of the side window (only zip halfway across the top)
2. Put door channel in
3. put bottom channel in
4. finish zipping up the rest of the window
5. starting at the bottom off the door channel, i use my thumbs to press it in, and work my way to the top, where I really work it into the channel
6. I do the other side window
7 finish it off by doing the rear window...
Old 10-17-2007, 09:01 PM
JK Junkie

believe me, i have tried all these combinations. i always end up with the same result. i think im going to take it to the dealer with the windows off and tell them to put each side window on. if they have trouble with the drivers side, i will ask for a new window. ...if they have no issue with the said corner, i will ask for a lesson.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:36 AM
JK Junkie

Looking at the pictures again, It looks like it's all bunched up towards the top. I don't know how the bottom looks, but have you tried this:

Get your window in as you have. From the bottom of the window, as close to the door channel as possible, pull down to tighten it up. Where my zipper starts, there's no slack. After you pull down, then try pushing it into the channel again.

If not, is there anything in the channel of the door frame itself??? Is the channel warped???
Old 10-18-2007, 09:32 AM
JK Junkie

after two people trying to get it in and another two looking it over, they said something was defective. its either the hard window plastic channel or the panel it clips into. i have an appointment tuesday morning to get a replacement of whichever it turns out to be.

while i was there, i told them that every time i put the soft top down, i do it a different way. each and every time. so, i also found out the correct way to put the soft top down. both links in the write up section are different than how the three employees of jeep and myself got it down.

took some pics with my camera phone, but when it gets cooler out, ill go out and take some with my digicam.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Hell, I wish mine had extra material at the top like that. I always have velcro showing, I can't pull the top down (or the window up) enough to cover it all.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is Your Side rail tucked into the channel?

Hi Mikefl
I noticed in the picture that your side rail plastic did not look like it was tucked under into its channel (Horizontal roof top rail )...If this is true then your rail for the back window ( the one that runs vertical)will cause that bunching at the top left where the zipper and the velcro are. It could also be that the top needs to shift just slightly when putting it up to that side of the car ...meaning you may need to install all the channels ie..header clasp at bow front window back window and then plastic window.
Also there are two knuckles that sit into the bows when it is returned into it's upright(closed Position) if they are not pushed into place then you will have a problem making either side fit, I have a problem when I put mine up where one knuckle will properly seat and the other (drivers side) does not so I have to look inside and pull it down till it snaps into place(this knuckle is at the b pillar bow) Once it snaps in everything aligns right.
My other question is ...Did you buy this with the soft top installed, or has this been happening after switching from hardtop? if it is the latter it may just be the knuckles keeping it from aligning.
Hope this helped .

Quick Reply: soft top side window problem.