Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft top windows flapping in the wind?

Old 06-16-2007, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
Basic concept: The leading edge of the window (which faces towards the front of the Jeep when installed) is essentially a long plastic hook... take the window off and look at this leading edge, to see what I'm talking about. That "hook" is supposed to catch a channel that's located on the Jeep's frame/door surround (can't remember which). Put THAT (the leading edge hook) on first, before you zip the window, or else you'll have a hell of a time trying to stretch the window into proper position. Hope that's helpful - it is tough to describe, and took me a couple tries to figure out on my own.
I want to thank you , i was having the same issue ,i knew i was doing something wrong . Thanx again!
Old 06-16-2007, 11:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Been doing it wrong

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
Basic concept: The leading edge of the window (which faces towards the front of the Jeep when installed) is essentially a long plastic hook... take the window off and look at this leading edge, to see what I'm talking about. That "hook" is supposed to catch a channel that's located on the Jeep's frame/door surround (can't remember which). Put THAT (the leading edge hook) on first, before you zip the window, or else you'll have a hell of a time trying to stretch the window into proper position. Hope that's helpful - it is tough to describe, and took me a couple tries to figure out on my own.

I hate to admit it, but I have been installing it wrong since I got my JK a couple of months ago. In my defense, however, I had been putting it back the way I got it from the dealer.

After reading this post, I went out and checked the Jeep. Holy crap I could see where I did not have the plastic hook in the right channel. I had simply been laying the "L" shaped edge inside the door frame. It seemed to fit the contour of the door, so it seemed right. WRONG! Thanks to the comments in this post, it is installed correctly now and I have dramatically reduced the windnoise in the door frame, and I am sure, the life of my windows. For those who can still see the seems of the window when the door is closed, it is in wrong. And for those who still think theirs is defective (1badjk), read the various posts, I am sure you will find it is operator error. Thanks all.

Last edited by 1JK's*; 06-20-2007 at 02:59 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 1BADJK
Not once did I state it was defective... And sure everyones got an opinion, but we know how that goes.. I will try your method.. But I'm sure its not going to make any difference.. I've been on several jeep lots looking at JK's and many on them show the same issue.. I was just stating that the dealer also tried therefore it wan not just me... And at that same time we walked over to a new one on the lot and it was the same... Therefore the dealer just stated "That's the way it is"....
Hey I'm sorry I offended. I wasn't saying YOU said it was defective. I suppose you were saying it's normal, really . That's what the dealer is telling you. I was slamming the sales guys if anyone. I guess I was just trying to let you know that there are tops out there that won't come out of the track. The way mine install, I have to pivot them into the door opening after unziping them to get them out of track. Maybe if that dealer gets enough door mirror dings on his lot he'll be telling the next customer that those are normal too.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up Me too....

Hey, thanks everyone...was having the exact same issue, now remedied by the good people of the forum. All in all that makes 4 issues cleared up, and countless gallons of gas saved by not driving back to the dealership!
Old 07-03-2009, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep mine had this issue when i first got it. The dealer showed me ho to put them on wrong then i got a notice in the mail explaining the correct way to install them never had a problem after that
Old 07-04-2009, 04:05 AM
JK Newbie

Jeep site video. Should be posted up as a FAQ link somewhere.

http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/soft_top_guide/

http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/soft_t...oft_top_guide/
Old 07-04-2009, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

watch the video on the jeep website
Old 07-04-2009, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ge99ne
My metho of putting them back on is as follows:

Get zipper started. Pull zipper about 6 inches to stabalize window.

Roll bottom of window channel into the frame.

Pull lower section of window near the channel into the bottom metal channel. Only a few inces to start.

Now the window is tight top to bottom. I roll the rest of the vertical window channel into the slot & tuck the velcro section under the roof. This gives me the least distortion around the hard door corner.

Zip the window across the top & down the back.

Pull the rest of the botton into the body channel.

There's no way it's coming out with the door shut.
My same recommendation. Its a little different than recommended by Jeep but works tons better imo. Not to talk down to anybody but this dude in the Official Jeep video is the best guy to start from. If you find something else that works better from this go for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1s7PuT2sp0
Old 07-04-2009, 06:38 PM
JK Super Freak

They kinda sorta SNAP into place. I drive my JK with half doors around all the time with the 1/2 door uppers off and the side windows installed. There is NO WAY they can come out of the window surrounds if installed properly.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just read this thread and i am pissed that i have been installing my windows wrong for 3 years!!!!!

Last edited by o7jk; 05-09-2010 at 08:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Soft top windows flapping in the wind?