Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Squeaky noise at low speeds in front driver side wheel.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Squeaky noise at low speeds in front driver side wheel.

After driving on the beach I hear a squeaky noise from my front driver side wheel while driving at lower speeds. I have hosed the crap out go the wheel and all the parts I can get to without removing the wheel. The squeak mostly goes away with breaking, and seems to go away at high speeds. Think it's a problem, or just crap stuck in there that will go away?

I have 48,000 miles and are also getting close to needing new break pads I am thinking.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually a squeak like that is u-joints, but it certainly could be some residual sand stuck between the pads and rotors.

I've got money on u-joints though. You can't always hear the noise at highway speeds with the wind and tire noise.

Sent from my DROID4
Old 06-26-2013, 05:17 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Either something stuck in your brake pads or axle u-joint going out
Old 06-26-2013, 06:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Is its a u-joint going out, am I ok to drive in it till I get back to NJ from NC?
Old 06-26-2013, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the squeak goes away with braking then it's probably brake related. Maybe sand trapped in between pad and rotor. Or sand got in there and damaged a pad or rotor. Easy to check. Take wheel off, remove two caliper bolts, pull caliper off and check pads and rotors. The Jk brakes suck big time.

My rear brakes went at 12k originally. Chirping/squeaking away at low and high speeds. Noise would go away once I hit brakes. Dealer replaced under warranty and that fixed it.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

If it doesn't just go away ( if it's debris) It could be a wheel bearing/hub going out
Old 06-26-2013, 06:18 PM
JK Junkie

If it is the u-joint, I would have no problem driving it that distance. If you get a crazy knock/ pull/ wander on that side then you'll have to stop and replace it but people run around with clicking and squeaking u-joints all the time.

Sent from my DROID4
Old 06-26-2013, 06:47 PM
JK Freak

Default Bubble and squeak

My 2010 JKUS developed a driver side squeak at low speed that came and went by turning the wheel or braking.

It was the hub bearings. The way I diagnosed it was to grab the top of the front wheel and rock the Jeep side to side. I could feel the slack. Also, I could see the disc moving relative to the protection plate. Replaced the hub. Problem solved. Not a cheap fix but you can't rebuild the hubs.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks guys for the responses! I pulled the wheel off and hosed the break rotor, hub, u-joint, drive shaft area. Now no squeak on test drive. Hopefully it won't come back.

Thankfully I get the spend the day driving on the beach and surf fishing instead of bringing the jeep to the mechanic.

Quick Reply: Squeaky noise at low speeds in front driver side wheel.