Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Squeeky Dash!

Old 06-05-2008, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeeky Dash!

Has anyone had any problems with an annoying squeeking sound coming from the upper part of the dash when you hit bumps or get a decent body vibration? It sounds like a chipmunk running around and is highly annoying. I thought maybe it was the new Daystar upper dash panel that I put on, but even after taking it off, the noise is still there. If anyone has had this problem and knows the easiest way to locate/isolate the noise, I would appreciate the info. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a noise, more ratttling tham a squeek, that I thought was from the upper parts of the dash. Found out it is the sunvisor, if I unclip the sunvisor the sound disappears. Have not made any further investigations I just ride with sunvisor unclipped
Old 06-05-2008, 10:26 AM
JK Super Freak

X 2 i thought it was something coming from the dash and it was the sun visor... the only way i knew it was i was driving and some ass bag cut me off and i wanted to run his little rice burner over and i heard the rattle and mashed the sun visor with my fist and it went away. so i drive with it unclipped or i give it a whack when im driving and it goes away.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

the noise is driving me crazy
Old 06-05-2008, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

i fixed some rattling sound by tightening sun visor mounts but, there are still annoying rattling sound from the dash side.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

I was sure it wasn't the sunvisors but I checked them anyways & that is not where the noise was coming from. Good suggestion though. I'm almost to the point of just taking off dash panels until I figure it out. It sounds like it is at the top near the windshield. Anyone know if the widshield seal coming loose could possibly be the culprit? Other ideas???
Old 06-09-2008, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sick_x
I was sure it wasn't the sunvisors but I checked them anyways & that is not where the noise was coming from. Good suggestion though. I'm almost to the point of just taking off dash panels until I figure it out. It sounds like it is at the top near the windshield. Anyone know if the widshield seal coming loose could possibly be the culprit? Other ideas???
I have the same exact noise...I haven't checked my visors...I am almost positive that it is coming from the dash...I was wondering if it might possibly be the hood squeeking? lemme know if you come up with anything. I'll do the same..if not when i go for my first oil change i'll have them fix it...between that and the drivers side by the seat belt...the loud "clunk" noise..I am going f'ing nuts....not bad when the radio is cranked but...sucks when I am tired and just trying to get home from the office with a migraine.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default I am looking too

I have been hunting one for some time. Mine in like plastic rattle, subtle, but I get it driving over littlle bumps or turning. I can not replicate by banging on stuff. I have tried foam and lubing up the A pillar mounding, I removed and remounted the visor. I removed the instrument cluster, to bang behind it. I lubed up the squeeky left hand mirror. I put insulating fuel line on the clutch hydraulic line that runs in front of the firewall betwwen two heat shields (a common noise). I removed the hood cowl vent and put foam on that pastic peice that rattles and squeeks. I tried putting some foam tape on the rattling door electric cable where it attaches near the left driver's footwell.
And still no luck

I can usually locate a rattle noise and fix it... this one has me stumpped for a few months now. And mine seems worse in the hot weather.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:31 PM
JK Freak

Talking

Has everyone who has this problem removed and reinstalled the center dash panel? Apparently if you don't reinstall the clips the go in there you can get a nice chipmunk squeek.

Last edited by Dubya; 06-09-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled my entire dash apart (including my gauge cluster). Before you do all that make sure it isn't the plastic support under the cowl. Tap on the long flat peice between the hood and the windshield right in the middle where the vents are cut into it. If that's your problem you have to pull that peice off and pad the plastic feet.

See this thread... https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ht=cowl+squeak

Quick Reply: Squeeky Dash!