Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Squeeky Dash!

Old 06-10-2008, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trick50
...between that and the drivers side by the seat belt...the loud "clunk" noise...
I had the "clunk" noise as well. That one I was able to figure out. It is the door banging on the door catch. When you open the door while driving or drive with the doors off the noise goes away. For a temporary fix I wrapped some electrical tape around the door catch (part mounted to body) where the door contacts it and problem solved. Not sure if it is the door hinges coming loose or just something doesn't line up right. Eventually I will get some rubber fuel line to put on there and that should just about fix it for good. It was an easy fix and not something I feel like giving it up to the dealer for days to see if they can figure it out only to say it is because of my lift and tires . I can't be without my daily driver while having the dealer try to figure out a squeak or rattle. I still have not figured out the dash squeak, but it definitely has nothing to do with the removable upper dash panel. Took it off and then went for a drive and the noise was still there. I'm going to keep tinkering to see if I can figure it out though.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:16 PM
JK Freak

i have this problem!!! it sounds like someone rubbing a styrofoam block with there fingers. it's a chirp squeek sound. it does it out of the blue when driving on the road. never when i am going off road. its the weirdest thing ever. it will come and go at random. it sounds like its from the passenger side dash area.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sick_x
I had the "clunk" noise as well. That one I was able to figure out. It is the door banging on the door catch. When you open the door while driving or drive with the doors off the noise goes away. For a temporary fix I wrapped some electrical tape around the door catch (part mounted to body) where the door contacts it and problem solved. Not sure if it is the door hinges coming loose or just something doesn't line up right. Eventually I will get some rubber fuel line to put on there and that should just about fix it for good. It was an easy fix and not something I feel like giving it up to the dealer for days to see if they can figure it out only to say it is because of my lift and tires . I can't be without my daily driver while having the dealer try to figure out a squeak or rattle. I still have not figured out the dash squeak, but it definitely has nothing to do with the removable upper dash panel. Took it off and then went for a drive and the noise was still there. I'm going to keep tinkering to see if I can figure it out though.
been spending some time each night before bed trying to get rid of all the rattles and squeeks on my 3 week old jeep lol...I have the rediculously annoying squeek that appears to be coming from the dash and sounds that way also...I have not had time to investigate but while driving to work this morning I found that the mysterious squeek is actually coming fom the passenger seat.

While driving put your arm around the passenger seat (just hold it firmly in place around the head rest or something) the squeek in the dash isn't really in the dash...it is the pass. seat.

I will be investigating fully late tonight when i get home.
Let me know if anyone finds a fix in the meantime..but I am 99% that is the squeek we are all experienceing.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Didn't have time to look into the passengers seat last night...But after work last night I drove a friend home and he moved the pass seat back and reclined it a bit...and the "squeeky Dash" went away.

Problem solved for now as far as I am concerned.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by voodoojk
i have this problem!!! it sounds like someone rubbing a styrofoam block with there fingers. it's a chirp squeek sound. it does it out of the blue when driving on the road. never when i am going off road. its the weirdest thing ever. it will come and go at random. it sounds like its from the passenger side dash area.
I have this squeak to (around the glove box). the styrofoam sound could be the insulation in the body panels (hopefully not) I have tightened everything I could find but it still will not go away. Mine is worse at low vibrations like tires on the road at 10 mph. Would love to find a solution for this.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Squeak fixed!!! All the suggestions are very good ones but I never got to check them before I found my squeak. Unfortunately I found out my squeak was self-inflicted. After a few good trips off road I have quite a few battle scars on the gas tank skid. Well one particularly nasty one pushes up on the gas tank and rubs on the body. I wedged a nut in there and no more squeak. I may pull the gas skid eventually but for now, quick and cheap fix. Hope this helps someone else with a squeak that sounds like the dash.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

I had the same issue and decided to tighten bolts one at a time and found it to be the bolts in the holes up on the plastic frame around the windshield, a little locktite and haven't had a squeek since.

Quick Reply: Squeeky Dash!