Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stall on start up

Old 11-19-2012, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall on start up

Ive posted about this issue before with no luck. I changed the crank and camshaft sensors and didn't have an issue for a while. It was very intermittent before. Lately it's getting worse. Almost every start. I have to jump on the gas and rev up the Rpms to get it going. Sometimes that doesn't even work. It's not clicking like an electrical issue would cause. It basically fires up and instantly putters out. I feel like its not getting enough gas or air... Anyone had this issue??? Video will come shortly
Old 11-19-2012, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not throwing any codes... Even when it happens no codes pop on my local shops reader... They think its a throttle body position sensor.. My local stealership says there is no such sensor and that it's all internal in the tb itself
Old 11-19-2012, 01:18 PM
JK Freak

Check this thread for ideas:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...e-help-253042/
Old 11-19-2012, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the link... poor guy has been dealing with similar issues... However, hes still stalling. I've changed cam and crank sensors already. He has an issue stalling at stops. It seems that is a common issue for jk's because the internet is loaded with info on that. My issue is only on start ups. once shes going she stays going. I returned the jeep to stock settings with my flashpaq and it wouldn't even fricken start after that. Could be coincidence, but after I reinstalled the tune it started up.... kinda. It basically started and puttered like before... please bare with me on these videos and hopefully they help!

video 1: this is how my jeep normally starts (I'm not hitting the gas at all... that's just how rough it is): Jk stall 1 - YouTube

video 2: this is after I returned the jeep to stock settings. Before this video it stalled out a few times and then this (which I have never heard before) happened.... Jk stall 2 - YouTube Sounds like a starter... but like I said this has never happened before. This same thing continued to happen again and again. then i let it sit for a minute or two, then it just started and putted out again. after that, the same "starter" sound occurred. this pattern happened again and again. I couldn't even get the jeep to start until i put the flashpaq tune back at 93 octane. (fyi I have had this issue with ethanol free and many different types of gas stations)

video 3: back to this again... Jk stall 3 - YouTube

video 4: this, just like video number 1 is my "normal start up" sometimes when the jeep start puttering out like it does in this video, I can hit the gas and get her fired up... (started this video about a second late but you get the idea) Jk stall 4 - YouTube

I love my damn jeep but this shit is driving me crazy. Of course this "issue" gets extremely worse before I go on deployment. I have five days to fix this problem before I go on deployment for the next seven damn months. If I cant fix it she's going to have to trade it in for the damn Cherokee she's been begging for.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

Have you checked the fuel pump, I had a dodge ram that did the same thing, changed the fuel pump with better pressure and problem solved. Have your fuel pressure checked might be the culprit
Old 11-19-2012, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I saw this in the field, the culprits were a bad IAC motor and a good throttle plate/body cleaning needed.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Gonna try to find a place to check the pressure today... What is an iac motor??
Old 11-20-2012, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IAC is idle air control. The dealers scan tool should be able to look at the sensor data to see if one is out of range. An out of range sensor will not throw a code.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Correct me if I'm dumb... I had a shop scan it with there reader... No codes.. If my flashpaq tune was installed,would it bypass and screw with there reader?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump...?????

Quick Reply: Stall on start up