Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Starting problems?

Old 06-05-2020, 03:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problems?

My son's 2008 Wrangler is having some starting problems. Statrted with what we thought was a dead battery one morning. Put a changer on it, got it to full charge, still won't turn over. Put a jump pack on it and got it to start. Put a load tester on the battery and it showed weak. So I replaced the battery with an Odyssey 34-PC1500T since we put a winch on his Jeep last month. Started for him a couple times and then won't turn over again. Figured it had to be a starter going bad since it only does it about half the time. Replaced the started. Still nothing? Talked to an ole school mechanic I know and he said to run a ground wire from the egine block to the frame and see if it starts. Did that and it started right up. Started fine about 10 times or so, Then won't start right up again the next time we tried it. Took about 5 tries bout then it started again?

Any ideas?

Has new battery and starter in it now!
Old 06-05-2020, 04:05 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

When you turn the key to start it, do you hear a click? Or do you hear nothing at all?
Is his JK an automatic? If so, try moving the shift lever further into Park.

When the problem is inadequate grounding on a JK with an automatic, the issue is usually fixed with an additional ground wire attached between one of the alternator mount bolts and the battery negative terminal. Try that. The one you installed is good, but it doesn't go directly to the battery.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
When you turn the key to start it, do you hear a click? Or do you hear nothing at all?
Is his JK an automatic? If so, try moving the shift lever further into Park.

When the problem is inadequate grounding on a JK with an automatic, the issue is usually fixed with an additional ground wire attached between one of the alternator mount bolts and the battery negative terminal. Try that. The one you installed is good, but it doesn't go directly to the battery.
OK, I try that today

Quick Reply: Starting problems?