Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

steering box

Old 08-15-2016, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering box

on my 08 rubicon auto 4 dr 315s the steering box is leaking> Not knowing much about this aspect of my jeep how serious is this? I hear that they are costly!! also does anyone know if this is covered under the 08 limited lifetime warranty ?
Old 08-15-2016, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Steering box leaking is something you definitely need to get checked out to see if it's seals or something else. It sounds bad but I hope your lifetime warranty wouldn't cover your box with 35's. It wasn't designed for those tires even though many people get away with it.

Have you changed the fluid in the lifetime of the pump? Do you run a cooler??
Old 08-17-2016, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even if it is toast and you need to replace both the pump and the gear both things are relatively simple, albeit time consuming, jobs done relatively easily with hand tools and a beer.
Make sure you have all the tools needed prior to start. Have a Pittman arm puller at least to transfer your one on the bad box to new box. if you do the swap yourself you take the time to bleed the system correctly or you can cause issues down the road

Quick Reply: steering box