Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Steering Stabilizer

Old 03-14-2013, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
The shock is there to absorb some of the road. Not to fix or hide problems with loose/warn components.

I advise you guys to watch Planman's vids and go over the front steering/suspension/tires.
I understand that but this is driving me nuts. The Jeep only has 8k on it and its already gone thru 2 steering stabilizers its on the third one. Since its under warranty the dealer has taken a few looks at it and found nothing. They have checked and re-torqued the lift, and alignment. I just rotated and balanced the tires. Maybe its time for a new dealership to look at it? I do trust this dealership thought.
I'll look for the Vid's this weekend. I'm also thinking of following the advice of this thread just to be on the safe side. The 3rd stabilizer that's on right now is still ok, but it only has about 300 miles on it.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something is has to be warn causing the shock to take on more than if can handle.

Watch the vids. Grab a pair of channel locks and look for up and down play on the tie rod ends. You have "4"

Lift the front tires 1-2" of the ground and shove a shovel or something like it underneath and push up. The ball joints will make a noise if warn. There should be no play. If something still feels loose but the balljoints are solid. You might have a bad hub bearing.

Just having someone turn the wheel 9-3 quickly should reveal any slop.

If nothing is out of place/warn its most likely a bad tire/wheel.

Good luck and keep posted.

Last edited by kjeeper10; 03-14-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Something is has to be warn causing the shock to take on more than if can handle.

Watch the vids. Grab a pair of channel locks and look for up and down play on the tie rod ends. You have 3.

Lift the front tires 1-2" of the ground and shove a shovel or something like it underneath and push up. The ball joints will make a noise if warn. There should be no play. If something still feels loose but the balljoints are solid. You might have a bad hub bearing.

Just having someone turn the wheel 9-3 quickly should reveal any slop.

If nothing is out of place/warn its most likely a bad tire/wheel.

Good luck and keep posted.
Thanks for taking the time to offer these troubleshooting tips. I'll check them out this weekend and post.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 tie rod ends ... Sorry.

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer